Coney Island Beach, ATPro

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983?
Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)
This past week I had the chance to enjoy my first beach hunt with the ATPro..
Beach was packed so I had to weave through people. but before I did, I chose a path taken by a guy swinging a Minelab Excalibur, no mistaking that green tube from a mile away.. I ate lunch (Nathans of course) and went back, he was gone,,I saw the foot prints and some dig remnants,, and thought, what the heck,, impromptu comparison, or maybe an ego boost,,, there was a lot of clad coins missed along that path,, although I also pulled a ton of bottle caps, those pesky 75's on the ID DID have a slight iron grunt before and after the clean beep, but I didn't want to take a chance,,,I didn't learn, I dug dozens......then I had several 75 clean beeps,,,,pennies and quarters,,, most 4-6" deep, except for a few that were deeper and surprised me.. A dime 8' in sand didn't think it would beep clean enough at that depth, but it didnt lie.. several beeps at 54 they were pulltabs,, then several 55's Nickles... wow, ...........lots of tinfoil,,, 30's and 40's ignored, unless it was a solid 45-50 I dug it,,,didn't know what gold rings would beep at,,,,I know mine shows 60 -65 on the ID,,,its pretty solid 18kt, so I wasn't taking chances....still no big finds..
Went in the water for a few minutes but without the proper scoup,,,its pointless...my machine ground balanced to 19 in the salt water,,,and as high as 85 in the dry sand....i wish I lived closer to hit this regularly,, all those people, all that jewelry potential...I can picture it....

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a great day out learning a new spot is a blast
but if you don't grid it out you will lose a lot of good finds to other people
but who wants to be a beach hog any way
keep at it and have fun

liftloop

OP
OP
S

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
One thing I do is overlap and sweep wide,, and the first thing I ever notice about others is there swing pattern.. I don't understand why almost everyone I notice misses 50 percent on the return swing, I visualize the coil as a paint brush, and with this DD coil which is new to me, versus my old 12" hothead, I realize that the scan pattern is like a dish on its side...it takes me a lot longer to do a 20x20 area because I also retrace my steps 90 degrees.. i always feel like Im missing something.:)

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a lot of fun OP (Hunting Coney Island).

I really enjoy looking at the old dry-plate negatives from there that they have up on "Shorpy". Search Shorpy | Shorpy Historical Photo Archive.

Click on the "View full size" button and (Except for being in black and white).....You're THERE! 8-)

OP
OP
S

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
That sounds like a lot of fun OP (Hunting Coney Island).

I really enjoy looking at the old dry-plate negatives from there that they have up on "Shorpy". Search Shorpy | Shorpy Historical Photo Archive.

Click on the "View full size" button and (Except for being in black and white).....You're THERE! 8-)

I saw some old pics like this, when studying Luna Park, born in Brooklyn, but i left when young, but wow, talk about no square inch of uncovered beach..

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw some old pics like this, when studying Luna Park, born in Brooklyn, but i left when young, but wow, talk about no square inch of uncovered beach..

Yeah! Some old (From the same period as the photo's) articles I've read about those beaches celebrate the fact that you had "pretty much"
every social, ethnic and racial group represented in the sand and surf at the same time.

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wouldn't be surprised if the guy with the excal skipped over lots of clad because he's probably just looking for gold signals. When youre new, you want to dig everything, but when you have to lug that excal around of the dry sand it becomes cumbersome. I have both the ATPro and Excal. try notching out the 70-80 range, I did that this weekend on the beach, dug only one penny but lots of quarters and dimes. You can cover more are like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread