Red Glass Mystery

ska69

Aug 13, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been excavating a privy in my back yard for several months and yesterday I discovered my first two pieces of red glass. Judging by the other glass and pottery I have found at the same level, I believe that these pieces are circa the 1800s. When I located the pieces in the soil they were a deep ruby red color, however, once I removed them and allowed them to sit in the fresh air for a few minutes, the edges turned an icy white color that does not wash off with water. I understand that old glass from this era can change color over time from sunlight, etc. but I have never seen glass change color this rapidly. Does anyone have any info on this phenomenon that may help me in identifying these pieces?

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Im not sure about your piece of glass. I do know that some old fruit jars that were originally clear, may turn purple when exposed to the sun for a period of time. This is caused by chemicals or impurities in the glass. Manganese I believe is what turns purple. People see these fruit jars with the purple tint and think they found a special jar or bottle, but in fact it is just a common clear one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread