Watched TinCup, the Golf Movie the other day, AND ....

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to do a reverse on my DVR, why? well, as some of you might know, Tincup is about a Golfer and he was on a green marking his putt.
This scene was about half way through the Flick... I see something, but I wasn't for sure.... I grab the remote, I hit the reverse button and up pop's the scene again. I'm looking closely, and right as TinCup (Kevin Costner) is marking his ball I hit pause......yep, sure enough there is a Mercury Dime laying on the green, he was using it as his ball marker for the movie...
Gotta love it! ;D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've heard that golfers back-in-the-day (and even now?) sometimes use(d) a coin to mark the site of their ball. You can't help but think that some coins get lost on turf in that way.

However, golf courses are well-mowed very flat/low, as we all know. And seeing as how a person is purposefully PUTTING that coin there (as opposed to a fumble fingers drop), it's hard to imagine that they could just forget it and walk away. Versus not simply walking back and picking it up. Still though, with that many coins put on the ground/turf, you gotta believe that some are still there, and got covered/lost :)

There was a golf course in my town, that dated to the late 1940s or early 1950s. It got shut down and turned in to a parking lot in the late 1990s. I was there when they were scraping out the grass, and got hundreds of coins. But hard to tell if any were there for this purpose of marking balls. As there tended to be no rhyme or reason to dates (clad vs silver) or placement (around putting greens versus open fairways, etc...). Also no gaurantee they were golfer losses to begin with, since this golf course doubled as a parking lot for a next-door Rodeo grounds grandstands during the rodeo season weekends. Could have been from people parking their cars too.

OP
OP
looknforgold

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that golfers back-in-the-day (and even now?) sometimes use(d) a coin to mark the site of their ball. You can't help but think that some coins get lost on turf in that way.

However, golf courses are well-mowed very flat/low, as we all know. And seeing as how a person is purposefully PUTTING that coin there (as opposed to a fumble fingers drop), it's hard to imagine that they could just forget it and walk away. Versus not simply walking back and picking it up. Still though, with that many coins put on the ground/turf, you gotta believe that some are still there, and got covered/lost :)

There was a golf course in my town, that dated to the late 1940s or early 1950s. It got shut down and turned in to a parking lot in the late 1990s. I was there when they were scraping out the grass, and got hundreds of coins. But hard to tell if any were there for this purpose of marking balls. As there tended to be no rhyme or reason to dates (clad vs silver) or placement (around putting greens versus open fairways, etc...). Also no gaurantee they were golfer losses to begin with, since this golf course doubled as a parking lot for a next-door Rodeo grounds grandstands during the rodeo season weekends. Could have been from people parking their cars too.
Nice story Tom, thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread