DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've posted a couple of times about the upcoming "treasure hunt" in California for members of my wife's family.

Well, yesterday we recovered our first family item - and we haven't even started looking yet! Let me explain...

My wife's grandparents rented a farm in central California from about the mid 1920's until 1942. As a first generation immigrant, her grandfather was not allowed, by law, to own property. He was Japanese.

In early 1942, the government notified the family that they must report to a relocation assembly center and ultimately to an internment camp in New Mexico. Each person was allowed to take one suitcase full of belongings. Everything else was sold or abandoned.

Before leaving, the family buried personal items behind the house. We have gotten permission from the property owners to search for the buried items. The "hunt" is scheduled for the weekend of February 24 - 25.

Now, on to the recovered item...

The same family still owns the property after all these years. When we contacted them, word got around in their about our "hunt". Apparently, a family member has a pearled jewelry box that was left in the house when the Tanaka's were forced to leave. They will meet us at the property on the day of our hunt to return it to the family.

Is that COOL or what!?!

This item is especially precious because it belonged to my wife's grandmother. She was in a tuberculosis hospital when the family left the area. They never saw her alive again. This box is all we have from her.

Were hoping that the actual hunt is HALF this good! I'll keep you posted.

DCMatt

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Great story. I hope that you all find something there. Good luck!!!! :)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Very Nice story. I hope you find a lot during your hunt and that you both find what you are looking for. Please let us know how your hunt turns out.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to wonder if they would have put everything in one hole or dug holes all over. I would guess it was all in metal containers back then. Good luck in your search. I'm way North of that area but you would be welcome to use my detectors. I'm in Red Bluff.

OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Packerbacker,

The family says it was all in one hole. No boxes, cans, bags, cases... Just stuff in hole.

I think I have a contact for a local club. I'll be in touch with them this week.

Thanks for the offer of your equipment. We may need it. Or it might not help at all. We don't REALLY know what is buried or if it can be found with a metal detector.

Check out my posting in the California forum. It gives more info about what we're up against and what we're hoping for...

DCMatt

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD THINGS TO COME ITS A SIGN

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading one of your other posts regarding your wife's family history in California and the upcoming hunt for buried possesions.I gotta agree with Dekalb,this is an early sign of good things to come from this "hunt".I can't wait to see what you guys unearth over there.Good luck and good hunting. :)

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Surely ther's something in that hole that would make a beep stick talk . Touching story + wish you well . HH I'm going to check out your other thread now .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions