luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any quality Alkaline batteries should work fine. Detectors have a voltage regulator that sets the actual voltage and current to the works so that stays the same regardless of what batteries you use. Better batteries usually last longer, however, and batteries near the end of their useful life may give lower performance.
luvsdux

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The chemical composition of the cells governs the voltage. The circuit resistance governs the current drawn from the cells. As the chemicals are depleted in the cell, the voltage drops until a safety circuit in the detector cuts it off to avoid excess current draw.
As an answer to your suggestion, the batteries will probably last longer, but since they are putting out the same voltage and there is a voltage limiter, the performance will be the same. I use the regular duracells since they have just been upgraded and have a shelf life of several years. I usually buy the 40 cell pack to get a better price at BJ's. PS- The AA units are cells . When sells are combined in a single package like a 9V unit, they are batteries although today battery has become a common term for both. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Energizer rechargeables in my AT pro. Three years old and still working fine. Ive saved a lot of money.

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will add that carbon-zinc cells have such a high internal resistance that even new cells may droop in voltage under higher loads suck as when your detector is making a loud tone through the speaker causing a under voltage condition and possibly messing up the detectors ability to perform properly, so ALWAYS use alkaline or rechargeable cells/batteries. The Type wont make any difference except in life duration...and only GOD knows what brand of battery lasts the longest...;-)

I use duracells as they have a 5 year shelf life and I don't do daily MD'ing, IF I did do it daily I would use rechargables...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread