permission question...?

justin75790

Jul 13, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX
There is a church that i am trying to gain permission to hunt, It looks to be mid 1800s and has been abandoned for some time.. Ive looked at the tax records and all it has is the Church's name as the owner. If theres no one there to ask and no more info on the property how would i go about getting permission? Or do I need permission? This is in SE Texas.
Thanks for the help.. ;D Justin

Attachments

• chuch3 002.jpg
    chuch3 002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 182
  • chuch3 004.jpg
    chuch3 004.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 183
  • chuch3 005.jpg
    chuch3 005.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 175

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
It is possible that the church is "community" owned. It was common for church land to be donated but trust me, there is always an "owner"! I would knock on the doors closest to the church and simply inquire about the ownership. I wouldn't metion metal detecting. Even if it's owned by the community, there will be someone that oversees it and it would be nice to get that "blessing".

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
justin75790 said:
There is a church that i am trying to gain permission to hunt, It looks to be mid 1800s and has been abandoned for some time.. Ive looked at the tax records and all it has is the Church's name as the owner. If theres no one there to ask and no more info on the property how would i go about getting permission? Or do I need permission? This is in SE Texas.

By the tax records do you mean tax appraisal??
You can search Texas Tax appraisal online,if you know the approximate address, of the church, and it should give the owner and address of the owner, of most of the properties around the area.

OP
OP
justin75790

justin75790

Jul 13, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX
Dimeman said:
justin75790 said:

By the tax records do you mean tax appraisal??
You can search Texas Tax appraisal online,if you know the approximate address, of the church, and it should give the owner and address of the owner, of most of the properties around the area.

Yes, tax appraisal....When I put the address in, it has the Church's name as the owner and a po. box as a 2nd address. Theres actually 4 churches on the site. Theres 2 that look from the late 1800s and 2 look from 1970s-80s. There located about 40mi NW of Houston..Ive hunted some of the Church's in the Montgomery area, but they had all been hunted before. these are out of town and most likely never been hunted...I added some pics of the old Church's.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you mail anything to the P.O. Box? Have you knocked on the doors or gone there on Sunday morning to see if anyone is around? Looks like a great site. Let me know if you want company.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
justin75790

justin75790

Jul 13, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX
The Beep Goes On said:
Did you mail anything to the P.O. Box? Have you knocked on the doors or gone there on Sunday morning to see if anyone is around? Looks like a great site. Let me know if you want company.

HH!
TBGO

I went there on wendsday, and there was no one around. My next step is to go by there on a sunday morning and if there still no sign of anyone, I will just hunt. Its probably owned by the community so there shouldn't be any problem. Yea, company would be nice.. its kind of a spooky place. ;D

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
The bigger structure looks like the church on the TV show Little House on the Prairie, which was based on the time frame 1870-1890's I believe.

The tree on the right of that one looks mighty promising, standing around after services under that big shade tree, church picnics...etc. :)

Let us know, if you find the owner and good luck!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1320 said:
It is possible that the church is "community" owned. It was common for church land to be donated but trust me, there is always an "owner"! I would knock on the doors closest to the church and simply inquire about the ownership. I wouldn't metion metal detecting. Even if it's owned by the community, there will be someone that oversees it and it would be nice to get that "blessing".

I agree to this Except this sentence.

"I wouldn't metion metal detecting."

If the person you ask has a Smile (Seems Friendly)

I would say.

" I was asking, Because I would Love to Metal detect around it.
Do you Think Anyone would Mind ? "

If they say something along the line,

"others have" Or "I don't see Why" Etc.

I'd Thank 'em & Be Smiling & Detecting ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such a great looking place to MD. Thanks for the pictures. Keep us posted.
Just go for it, and if anyone asks what you're doing, tell them you're looking for money to put in the church basket. ;) Just kidding, of course.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread