PA STATE FORESTS Most Likely Yes.

National Forests ? I doubt.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why then can you md in California National Forest? We can but other states cant ???

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Use of Metal Detectors on National Forest Land

The use of metal detectors has become a popular hobby for many people. Here is direction on how or when metal detectors can be used on the Chequamegon-Nicolet.

Metal detector use is allowed in developed campgrounds and picnic areas if they are not specifically closed to such activity. If archaeological remains are known to exist in a campground or picnic area,
a closure to metal detecting would be posted. It is permissible to collect coins, but prospecting for gold would be subject to mining laws. However, you should know that agencies have not identified every archaeological site on public lands, so it is possible you may run into such remains that have not yet been discovered. Archaeological remains on federal land, known or unknown, are protected under law. If you were to discover such remains, you should leave them undisburbed, stop metal detecting in that area, and notify the local FS office. I have included the legal citations below for your information.

The Forest Service has conducted numerous projects in conjuntion with metal detectorists and metal detecting clubs through our volunteer archaeological program, Passport In Time (PIT). The cooperation has been fun for both the detectorists and the agency's archaeologists. Locating archaeological sites becomes a joint endeavor and we learn a lot! You can receive the PIT Traveler, our free newsletter advertising the PIT projects each year, by calling 1-800-281-9176. Look for the ones where we request metal detecting expertise!

Here are the legal citations:

Code of Federal Regulations, 36 CFR 261.9: "The following are
prohibited: (g) digging in, excavating, disturbing, injuring, destroying,
or in any way damaging any prehistoric, historic, or archaeological
resources, structure, site, artifact, or property. (h) Removing any
prehistoric, historic, or archaeological resources, structure, site,
artifact, property."

USDA Forest Service Manual Direction (draft): "Metal Detector Use. Metal
detectors may be used on public lands in areas that do not contain or
would not reasonably be expected to contain archaeological or historical
resources. They must be used, however, for lawful purposes. Any act with
a metal detector that violates the proscriptions of the Archaeological
Resources Protection Act (ARPA) or any other law is prosecutable.
Normally, developed campgrounds, swimming beaches, and other developed
recreation sites are open to metal detecting unless there are heritage
resources present. In such cases, Forest Supervisors are authorized to
close these sites by posting notices in such sites."

ARPA, 16 U.S.C. 470cc: "No person may excavate, remove, damage, or
otherwise alter or deface or attempt to excavate, remove, damage or
otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resources located on public lands or Indian
lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit. . ."

For more information, contact Mark Bruhy, Supervisor's Office, 68 S. Stevens St., Rhinelander, WI 54501, 715-362-1361, or email [email protected].

Page last updated Jun. 15, 2004

This webpage is part of the official USDAFS Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest website. For information about this site's linking, privacy, and other use policies please see our privacy & legal page. For more information about the region, other national forests, the Forest Service, or the USDA, please visit these official sites: Region 9, US Forest Service, US Department of Agriculture.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/rec/heritage/metal_detectors.html

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey dunsky1476...Some National Forest allow Metal Detecting and some will not....I always contact the Ranger Station nearest the location....Art

OP
OP
D

dunsky1476

Jul 26, 2004
This is the message I got back from the national forest by me:

"It's OK to surface collect gems and fossils, but digging for them is
not
recommended.

Metal detecting is not allowed because most places that would be
impacted
are historical and archaeological sites protected by federal law from
any
disturbance."

D

damz68

In SC you can only use detectors in public areas of the NF. Campgrounds and picnic areas only and only if you are trying to locate a personal lost item. The man I spoke to told me that these are the National Forest rules and they are the same in all 50 states.

If you think you can get by with it do it , but if you get caught you could lose a detector. To much of a chance for me!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Google "USDA Forest service" and check for your forest in your state. Most out west are fine, at least I've never had a problem in WA, CA, or OR.

I always check in at the Ranger station of the area I'm interested in, the first time out anyways.

The one who told you the rules are all the same is full of hot air.

Make sure you print out a copy of the regs for your forest, if you happen to run across one of these guys. I try not to get too confrontational, but will point out the regs myself, if he's confused. ;)

pitchfork

Jan 6, 2006
Santa Barbara, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Jeffro said:
Google "USDA Forest service" and check for your forest in your state. Most out west are fine, at least I've never had a problem in WA, CA, or OR.

I always check in at the Ranger station of the area I'm interested in, the first time out anyways.

The one who told you the rules are all the same is full of hot air.

Make sure you print out a copy of the regs for your forest, if you happen to run across one of these guys. I try not to get too confrontational, but will point out the regs myself, if he's confused. ;)

Very helpful. Thx a lot Jeffro!

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARPA:
(a) Under section 6(a) of the Act, no person may excavate, remove,
damage, or otherwise alter or deface, or attempt to excavate, remove,
damage, or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resource located
on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a
permit issued under Sec. 7.8 or exempted by Sec. 7.5(b) of this part.

(2) No permit shall be required under this part for any person
collecting for private purposes any rock, coin, bullet, or mineral which
is not an archaeological resource as defined in this part, provided that
such collecting does not result in disturbance of any archaeological
resource.

(4) The following material remains shall not be considered of
archaeological interest, and shall not be considered to be
archaeological resources for purposes of the Act and this part, unless
found in a direct physical relationship with archaeological resources as
defined in this section:
(i) Paleontological remains;
(ii) Coins, bullets, and unworked minerals and rocks.

(d) Public lands means:
(1) Lands which are owned and administered by the United States as
part of the national park system, the national wildlife refuge system,
or the national forest system (BLM lands)

So in other words: National Parks are public lands by this laws definition. This law only applies to "ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESOURCES" Coins and bullets minerals, rocks or anything less than 100yrs old ARE NOT archaeological resources (unless directly related to a nearby site) and are EXEMPT from this law and may be excavated.

They have to prove that the coin you dug up is a resource. They will need to prove how they can gain historical knowledge from a coin that someone dropped on the ground in a field or forest. Thats like trying to find historical significance from a coin someone dropped in the street.

Last edited:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a state park in West Virginia and got spotted by a park ranger.. she drove by and :hello: and kept going, then about 15 minutes later another park ranger come by and asked if i had seen 3 hikers, then they just got in there truck and drove off. Always check the rules for each state park though, i know ones in Virginia are strict but ones in West Virginia are not. :occasion14:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wouldnt even think about metal detecting on Federal property in Florida. State land may be different but you cant keep anything over 50 years old in Florida.

You really need to know the laws in your particular area. It may be a Felony. Keep in mind that Treasurenet is being monitored by law enforcement agencies. Read down last few posts. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...inating-treasure-hunting-july-1-2012-a-3.html

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IMO the metal detecting hobby has gotten way out of hand and metel detecting forums are now attracting the attention of law enforcement agencies. While its possible you may be allowed to search for your lost wedding ring at a picnic site, you will most likely not be allowed to decimate an archaelogical site. Its pretty much common sense but some states may not have laws on the books yet or they may be looking the other way.

What state are you referring to?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread