biggerdigger

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a newbie to treasure hunting and a newbie to the site so I like watching these new shows --I found this on another forum and thought I'd share it with the group so I copied it and pasted it here....These guys actually sound legit.

Kevin B
DIG FELLAS on Travel Channel (I cannot belive this!!!)
August 23, 2013 01:48PM Registered: 2 years ago
Guys, do y'all remember Bill Ladd???? Him and his buddy have ther own show now!!!! I have been watching his Digging New England Youtube site for a few years. I was dozing off and heard Bill Ladd's unmistakeable voice!!!!!! I opened my eyes and it was him and his buddy *they hunt togther all the time". Now...I AM watching this episode and I will be able to tell scripted from real.....I think. Remember !!!! it is on the Travel Channel. Check this out:
Travel Channel announced today that its new series DIGFELLAS will premiere Wednesday, September 4 with back-to-back episodes at 8:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

Relic hunters Bill Ladd and Howard Hewitt embark on a quest to find and preserve America's past. In each episode, the duo investigates, isolates, and excavates a history-rich location, in search of precious relics and antiques. Using their expertise and deep historical knowledge, they separate treasures from trash. At the end of every dig, the duo meets with historical experts to authenticate their findings. Their journey is about "passion over profit" - the love of history and the adventure of uncovering it.

WOW!!!!! PASSION OVER PROFIT!!!!!!!! Go Bill Ladd!!!!!! Hey, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt!!!! I have spoken with Bill personally (in email) and bout two of his DVD;s. They seem for real to me. It'll be worth watching. My opinion.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion (for what its worth)... any "show" that glorifies metal detecting is a death nail for our hobby.
I have already experienced it in person.
I was on the beach the other day and a guy comes up with his kid. He says, "Hey man, you ever find anything with that" (no.... I'm just wandering the beach with my detector for no reason). I say, "Not much tonight". He then says, "You ever see that show "Diggers" , my son and I think thats cool. We saw that show and thought we should buy detectors also!". I was in a pissy mood because I had just walked about 2 miles and not even found a penny (no joke), so I said, "that show is the exact reason our hobby is hurting". He says, "well, you changed my mind" and walked away.
This has been the worst year ever for finds on so. ca. beaches.
A few things have contributed, but I suspect one of the biggest contributors are these stupid shows. I say stick to you tube if they want to show finds, etc.
Price of gold went up. People bought detectors hoping to strike it rich.
Alcohol ban on all local beaches and in local parks = negative for us
TV shows glorifying treasure hunting and how to do it wrong (ie: digging up peoples lawns, parking lots with a backhoe) = Negative image for getting permission = negative for us.
Economy going south = Negative for gold and silver finds since the prices went up, people have sold all their bling.
Bling is not in style these days unless its Tungsten, or Titanium. Cheap people these days. Nobody has any money!
Mechanical Sand rakes = more common these days.
Mass amount of TH'ers since those stupid shows.

I miss the good old days when people asked me if I could get electrocuted using my detector in the surf, and when a lady yelled at my friend saying it was going to affect her husband's pacemaker!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree although entertaining anything it seems that is new to the public and is shown as a reality show tends to pique interest which seems to bring in the jerks which want to emulate Mr. Boombaby. This will eventually die down, well hopefully it will. Oh and by the way I have a pacemaker and I was told I have to make sure to keep the coil about a foot away while on, it can mess with it,have to carry a card to show security so I don't go through the machines or have a wand passed over it but you have to be like right on it. The woman seriously overreacted im sure. She probably heard about it from the doctor and assumed you could stop his heart with a wave of your magic wand.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice, nothing better than having another metal detecting show that comes out....

Lol those shows are so far fetched its not even funny...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, another reality show... the more of those on TV, the more stoic people we keep on the couch.

Maybe it's actually going to help our hobby by keeping fat lazy people on the couch. Once they bend over and dig, get their jeans dirty and a little dirt under their finger nails- all for a stupid rusty nail...

One machine for sale, cheap!

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That and help resale values :P

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another show with people finding planted finds

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
I would be interested to know how long those claiming far-fetched/planted finds have been hunting……
I started in 81 and consider myself a master of research/gaining permission as well as being a skilled operator. I have had great success and continue to do so…..

I don’t see these shows as far-fetched except for Boom Baby and think those that see it as such simply need to get more/better experience detecting or researching and gaining permission skills.
Good sites and good skills are essential and if you are missing one or both of those aspects you will always be skeptical of those that have one or both and succeed on a regular basis.
If it were easy everyone would do it and be successful-since its hard some are successful and others turn up sour grapes.

Good luck and Dig Deep!

Mike

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested to know how long those claiming far-fetched/planted finds have been hunting......
I started in 81 and consider myself a master of research/gaining permission as well as being a skilled operator. I have had great success and continue to do so.....

I don’t see these shows as far-fetched except for Boom Baby and think those that see it as such simply need to get more/better experience detecting or researching and gaining permission skills.
Good sites and good skills are essential and if you are missing one or both of those aspects you will always be skeptical of those that have one or both and succeed on a regular basis.
If it were easy everyone would do it and be successful-since its hard some are successful and others turn up sour grapes.

Good luck and Dig Deep!

Mike

If u really think the producers are not havin items planeted then I feel bad for u beleaving in reality tv. In the one episode of dig wars u can clearly see the annoying woman turn around and swing over an already open hole.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belong to the same club as Howie and i think you might be surprised with this show

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belong to the same club as Howie and i think you might be surprised with this show

Well from the vids I saw on YouTube the younger skinny one is annoying.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In todays society the shows like "Auction Wars" "Bid wars" mostly everything that does with buying and reselling those storage units are fixed. There is proof on YouTube that the producers put stuff in the box. If rare stuff wasn't found there would be no viewers.

The only shows I watch on tv that have to do with rare items is Pawn Stars and Ricks Restorations. I feel these are the more legit shows.

As far as any of those shows they are fake to me.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind Diggers although the word play like juice and roundness etc. can be irritating. Actually I prefer Mud Men over the North American stuff. But to each their own.

OP
OP
B

biggerdigger

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I watched it on Wednesday and it was informative, real, and not too annoying. I felt the Bill Ladd and Howard Hewitt know their stuff. They were filling in holes!! And they were digging a lot of pieces of wire and bottle caps too...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
In todays society the shows like "Auction Wars" "Bid wars" mostly everything that does with buying and reselling those storage units are fixed. There is proof on YouTube that the producers put stuff in the box. If rare stuff wasn't found there would be no viewers.

The only shows I watch on tv that have to do with rare items is Pawn Stars and Ricks Restorations. I feel these are the more legit shows.

As far as any of those shows they are fake to me.
Yes those pawn shows always get those rare things in all the time..... So you know they are not on the up & up with the pawn shows ......

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah,
I heard a rumor here in So. Cal. from folks who know a certain guy who says "YUP", that he was suing the show because he felt it had ruined his reputation and because it has been shown that the storage wars guys planted stuff.
On one episode they show the guys opening the door to see whats inside, then they come back later and there is a refrigerator where there wasnt one before.
What I dont like is the "easy money" that this portrays. If you want it, you are gonna have to work at it harder than that.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I watched the latest dig fellas against my better judgment and one thing comes to my mind besides that high pitched dog ear killing YEAH!!! of his...the nonsense of bill swinging the shovel around like Zorro and then chopping into the soil again and again. I saw him do this a few times and how he just flung the dirt out and it had me baffled as to was he looking for something or digging a ditch. No detectorist I know does that kind of stupid crap, no wait boom baby big butt may do that. Bill Ladd has been on covers of well respected magazines and im wondering if those magazine owners cover their eyes when they tune in to that show.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread