jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bureau of Land Management says someone "apparently" using metal detectors and shovels found and dug up "hundreds of artifacts" along a few miles of the Oregon Trail near Burley, Idaho. Officials have "no specifics on what those items might be" at this time.

The BLM told KTVB about "400 holes were dug" along the pristine ruts of the trail.

Seems to me the whole story has just as many holes including maybe a few BLM's :laughing7:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess they should have used a branch to clear away the metal detector tracks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Custer's Last Stand Monument one morning as soon as it open. Some criminals had snuck in at night and detected "last Stand Hill". There were hundreds of holes all over.

I fully support criminal charges against people like that....Not talking a slap on the wrist either, I'm talking serious prison time, at least 5 years before parole and heavy fines...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree some sites are sacred and should be preserved. We have a protected island like that here. It looks like a bombing range from the years of digging until it was protected. All that remains is the verbal and written history.

My question is this with Archeologist. How much stuff do you have at your house and in your basement?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one difference between us hobby detectors, and a Archeologist. In a word, one of us is Grave Robbers. Seems the educated ones have found a way to keep the fingers pointing at us.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the article stated , (in some way these people/or person looted historical items from the American public , YEA items that would be left in the ground to slowly rot away over time & items NO ONE will or would ever even see. Still tho it may not be right the law is the law. Maybe we will see on the just dug forum soon ,( Nice relics from the Oregon Trail). Some folks are that stupid , just look at the holes they left behind , they could have been seen from space.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree some sites are sacred and should be preserved. We have a protected island like that here. It looks like a bombing range from the years of digging until it was protected. All that remains is the verbal and written history.

My question is this with Archeologist. How much stuff do you have at your house and in your basement?

ANY archeologist who has stolen artifacts in their home is subject to not only the same laws as anyone...the academy would jerk their credentials so fast it would leave a smoke trail...
no more working in field...no teaching...might get a job at mcdonalds....
sick of the archy bad mouthing...from people who despise knowledge.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met two types of archy. Ones who are helpful, and ones who dont recognize hobby detectorist. I think the bad rep has been earned. But I am seeing more cooperation between hobbyist and archys. We can say nice things and help each other or keep fighting. I stay out of their back yard and archys stay out of mine. I do enjoy the finds they make and the ones who will share a little bit about the artifact they found. While I dont believe one man is better than any other man, I do live in a country of laws. Sometimes baffling and vague laws, I try to do the right thing.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY archeologist who has stolen artifacts in their home is subject to not only the same laws as anyone...the academy would jerk their credentials so fast it would leave a smoke trail...
no more working in field...no teaching...might get a job at mcdonalds....
sick of the archy bad mouthing...from people who despise knowledge.

I have met two types of archy. Ones who are helpful, and ones who dont recognize hobby detectorist. I think the bad rep has been earned. But I am seeing more cooperation between hobbyist and archys. We can say nice things and help each other or keep fighting. I stay out of their back yard and archys stay out of mine. I do enjoy the finds they make and the ones who will share a little bit about the artifact they found. While I dont believe one man is better than any other man, I do live in a country of laws. Sometimes baffling and vague laws, I try to do the right thing.

I have to agree Casca. & yes pippinwhitepaws, I do bad mouth archies on occasion.
& will continue to as long as some bad mouth detectorists & treasure hunters & use the word
looter when talking about us.
Yes I have met a very Cool archaeologist while hunting a site.
he stopped over , introduced himself, We discussed finds, & he invited me over to see his
displays of indian artifacts, colonial coins etc.
I also met a state archaeologist putting up signs warning against damaging & removal
of artifacts from a site, who wished me good luck at that site.
(Of course in that case, I was doing it as a service for a particular entity,
so it may be why he never told me I had to turn everything over)

These types of archaeologist's get my respect. archies do not & will not.
so when I say archie, I'm speaking of the greedy ones in it for themselves.
when I type archaeologist, I'm speaking of the ones who are in it for history.

this is getting long, so I won't discuss laws in a so-called Free Country :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread