Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Nate in Ohio said:
Wow...I didn't see this coming. Reading "Digging Deeper" and absorbing all kinds of helpful info from other users will help immensely...but of course there's alot more to it. There is nothing, IMO, that will increase both your skill and knowledge like pure experience will. This goes not only for utilizing the vast arsenal of settings, but also for determining what to dig. If your settings are set perfectly, but you decide simply not to dig that coin giving off a questionable signal, you're not really gaining anything. And that's partly why I think it's good to do a LOT of digging...at least at first, so that your eyes are fully opened. You can never experiment too much...especially with all the controversial theories out there...I don't mean for this to sound too common-sense and all...I just think some ideas tend to get overlooked. (Boy was I pretty dumb when I started using the DFX.) I know you're gonna rock this machine!
I know I know Nate...I really spent a LOT of time hemming and hawing about buying an Explorer, but ran into a DFX on Ebay that literally is brand new and still saved several hundred over a new one (bottom of stock coil is unscratched, original owner used it once to find a lost wedding ring).
I look forward to many hunts with you and your Dad and maybe we can share in our experiences...I know for sure I am going to be sucking DRY yours, Zoso's and Don's brains dry in an attempt to accelerate the learning curve.
As far as actual time digging targets and swinging the coil being the best way to learn...you gotta know it's ME you're talking to...I dug more damn pulltabs and trash than anyone did last year!!...(and found 6 gold rings on the way too)

Got my new Killer-B headphones in today along with Foster's book....it's studying time.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
My new toy arrived yesterday and I couldn't get it out of the box and assembled fast enough.
This thing looks brand new and doesn't even have a single scratch on the coil!
NiCad battery pack charged right up to 11.2V...check!
Played with settings for about an hour (about 1/2way through Jeff Foster's book) and really liked the Hi-Pro program already installed...maybe it was just the symphony of sounds having toneID turned on caused. I went out to my driveway, which is gravel and has produced many many coins and right away started getting nice coin tones. Didn't shovel the deep snow aoutta the way to dig though...just wanted to listen.
Don't like the flimsy-ass arm cuff...pretty much had to have the arm strap over my arm to swing (something I'm not used to...I am sure the DFX's additional weight bears on this)...anyone know if there are aftermarket cuffs that are more rigid and/or taller?

This is going to be a fun season (if it ever stops snowing)

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Good for you Danial! It is very reassuring to see that you went for the DFX. I've read lots of your posts, which have sent me right out the door with detector in hand. good luck with your new machine, hope to see more silver posted this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread