Chinese sluice rake ?

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever come across a pick that has been purposely had both ends bent into a U-shape, to form a rake like tool. I have one that came from a Chinese placer mining area in N. CA. I was told it might have been used as a sluice rake. Has anyone else seen one like it or something similar? I know the Chinese often re-fabricated many tools as the situation required. Any input greatly appreciated. Unfortunately no picture right now, Thanks.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Really do need a picture. Welcome to T Net.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen them,they are not totally chinese oriented and doubtful they were used as a sluice rake,given the weight.Imagine that piece on the end of a 5'+handle....now put it out at arms length and rake for an hour...now imagine doing that for 12+ hours.....in the future post questions like this in places like the Whats it section.....folks like myself dont come to this section....

The ones I have found/seen would suffice as a pot hanger over a fire or some type of crevice tool

potpourer082012d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
caprock

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for help Kuger, I'm having trouble getting a picture of this thing posted. It would help a lot! It weighs about the same as a small pick head-not very heavy. Not just the ends of the pick bent, but both sides are entirely curved into U-shape,kinnda looks like a two forked cultivator or hoe, could not have been used to hang something or dig out a crevice. Without a picture it's hard to describe, thanks anyway.I'll keep trying with the pic.

OP
OP
caprock

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying again. photo (2).jpg

OP
OP
caprock

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wanted to give this thread a bump, don't think it's been seen by many since the photo was added

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh.wow,that is an odd one.Not sure what it could have been used for....for a rake....I am highly doubtful....they had Rakes for that and I dont see how it would serve that purpose anyway?Very cool though,and thanks for sharing it!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread