Time Machine....Go back and detect your boyhood home...

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got permission and metal detected a house I lived in from 1965 to 1969. I was 8 years old when I moved there in the summer of 1965. I was wondering if anything I dug would be something I remembered from my childhood? To my surprise several items came up. An old green matchbox car I remembered, also found a stainless steel knife from my moms silverware. Showed the knife to my mom and she recognized the pattern! Some other toy cars, clads, and wheats came up too. It was fun, kind of like a ride in a time machine!
-Mike

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool to say the least.My old neighborhood is now just called the "hood" so i'd have to pack some heat to detect that neighborhood. ;D

Comanche Todd

Jan 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my old house was built back in the 1870's in an old historic part of town, they built a parking lot over the area where my house use to be :'(

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've thought about that often. My boyhood home was built in 1820 and at one time was along the Chenango Canal. The Canal is now a paved street with homes, and there we sat with a small barn that still had hay in the loft as our garage in the middle of town . Dad had a copy of an old town map that showed that house and carriage shed with nothing around it in 1850 or thereabouts. I still have a couple ceramic ginger beer bottles I dug in my "sandbox" (aka - muddy hole in the back yard).

The coal deliveries were recorded on a plaster-washed wall in the basement (mostly dirt floor). I can still remember coal and milk deliveries (I was born in 1959).

Love to poke around there. Find a ton of lost Monkey Division gear, I'm sure. There was a fairground nearby where the circus stopped every year for . . . ever! Now graded and filled 40 ft deep in spots to make a supermarket parking lot.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Would love getting back and work the house I
grew up in. But..........................

Not the best of neighborhoods. A real hood ;D ;)

have a good un............................

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my younger sisters told me that mom buried dad's guns on the farm where we lived. Sister did the digging, but can't remember where they were buried. I know the owners of the old farm, not well, but I also remember all the trash dad buried around the barn. Plus there must me a ton of lead from our shooting targets from the picnic table in the yard. Oh yeah, sis also said she lost her school ring in the pond while swimming. I'd like to find the ring for her, but it's a big pond.

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I found out recently that the farmhouse I grew up in (built 1885) is being demolished. The cousin who bought our farm is putting up a new barn for their cattle this summer. I plan to get out there and do some MD'ing (with my cousin's permission) before everything gets bulldozed.

I hid some coins in one of the walls back in the mid- to late-60s that I'd love to recover. Don't remember what, but I'm sure there is some silver in there. My brother swears he buried a sock full of silver in the back yard that he never recovered. That would be a nice cache to dig up!

Joe

treasure.gif

T

TreasureTales

I haven't had the wherewithall to ask about detecting the yard of the house I grew up in. I stopped once and chatted with the current owners, who happened to be outside and remodeling the house at the time. I got a piece of the siding, but when I got it home I thought what the heck am I going to do with this...and immediately tossed it into my garbage can.

I'd be very happy to detect my old yard, I know it's got some silver in it because my brothers and I were always tossing coins at each other and other stupid childish things like that. LOL The silver could pay for the gasoline to get there.

Nice story, Mike, thanks for the trip back in time.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in a house not 5 blocks from where I live know. I bought my house in a new addition close by. I lived there from 2nd to 9th grade and have many fond memories. I have meant to go by and chat with the present owners but haven't been able to catch them at home or just don't think about it when I am out "prospecting". Glad you reminded me I will put that on my list of things to do. Monty

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hey, I have done this. Its easy since my parents still live there!!!!! Never found much. I did do my grandmothers house and found one of my old matchbox cars. That was pretty neat!!
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread