Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious if anyone knows of a good site, or a way to identify how old horseshoes are?
I find a bunch on the farm I've been searching. Just today I found two more. One was just huge compared to the other one, and it still had about 6 of the old square nails still stuck in it.
My main motive it to be able to determine if some of these are from the CW era or not.
Thanks,
MM

Hillbilly bread

Feb 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT , Coin Master & my nose<><
Try going on WWW & put in old horseshoes. I only keep the real small one's. Hillbilly<><

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Can't do much aging with the square nail angle as square ones are still manufactured and used for shoeing. Best I've been able to do is something like already knowing when a farm or logging camp was working and finding shoes that were from draft animals there.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverswede said:
Can't do much aging with the square nail angle as square ones are still manufactured and used for shoeing. Best I've been able to do is something like already knowing when a farm or logging camp was working and finding shoes that were from draft animals there.

Thanks Silver.
The farm property that I've been MDing on was built in 1936, and was also a dairy farm. I've been finding CW era buttons and bullets there too, so I didn't know if there was a way to connect the horseshoes with the CW era, or if they are just farm related? The large one I found in the woods yesterday was pretty neat. Biggest one I've seen, and it still has the square nails in it.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread