PLEASE HELP ME

J

joseph

T

TreasureTales

joseph said:
I am knew at this what type of detector should i invest in thanks

First off, welcome to TreasureNet. Glad to have you aboard. Now to your question....
YIKES, that's like asking what kind of car you should buy. It depends on your budget, your interests, you location, and a few other variables.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
If you go to the HOME page, you'll see all different kinds of forums. Metal detecting, metal detector reviews by owners, and general discussion would be a good place to look for information. Lots of people come on here asking the same thing, and a lot of different views are already posted.

Some things you may want to consider...

Whats the terrain around you like? Do you live in a swampy area? Desert? Mountains? Mineralized? Ocean beaches?

What do you plan on looking for? Caches? Coins? Nuggets? etc.

How much are you willing to spend?

And others. Look into a few of the posts and you'll get the idea. Its a start of an addicting hobby! Take a little time to read the posts and then ask for help with anything you're not sure of. Thats what we're here for. ;)

D

dugupfinds

Welcome to Tnet from the UK.

As said above there are many considerations to take into account. You maybe able to find a Club nearby who could help choose??

Try & save up enough money to get at least a mid-range detector. That way if you like it you can move up later, if you hate it you haven't wasted too much on a top range model. Also the bottom range types are more like toys & a waste time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and hobby. Others have said it very well about learning what type of detecting you want to do. Visit every manufactures site and read all you can about the different types of detectors. Read Western & Eastern Treasures, and Lost Treasure magazines.

Wildfirefighter72

Jan 14, 2007
Colorado
I to am new to the hobby and after I looked around this site I decided to go with the ACE 250. I picked mine up off of ebay for 189.00 new and did not have any problems. If you use ebay, just check out their feedback and it should give you a good idea if you should buy from them. Happy Hunting and welcome to TreasureNet!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can HIGHLY recommend the Minelab Musketeer Advantage. I found a used one that has been all sorts of fun. It detects as deep as any, deeper than many, but lacks any of the nicer masking features of the new detectors. So you end up digging a lot of trash. For the price, it is a great detector. It has a very good manual ground balance that is easy to adjust, so you can "tune out" mineral soil. Set it to "all metal" and it wil relic along with the best of them. Minelabs are also good gold machines (which is the primary use in their home of Australia).

It has no visual display at all, so you need a good set of headphones. If you set the sensitivity scale to just signal for a nickle you tune out most trash. It loves foil and aluminum twist-caps, but if you "X" the object and listen carefully it will squeak or "chip" most times on trash in one direction or the other while the good stuff gives a nice "vowel" sound in any direction.

Be warned that the lower priced detectors with "advanced" decsrimination will tell you three cent pieces are foil and silver chains are pulltabs. If you don't mind digging a lot of trash the Musketeer is an otherwise good detector.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Purchases on Ebay doesn't have to be scarey but you should approach with caution. I'd check with dealers in your area for discounted floor models or trade ins if they'll give you a good warranty on them. You mentioned gold, silver, and other minerals so I assume you're looking more for a prospecting detector than just one for coins and relics. If that's the case, I'd stick with a good name brand--White's, Fisher, Tesoro, Minelab, Nautilus, Garrett, etc. Most of the prospecting type detectors aren't cheap though. I don't know what your spending limit is but most of them new start at $500+ and can reach $800 fairly quickly.
As for clubs and info in your area, you might look here...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,254.0.html

BTW ERINS, welcome to TNet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions