Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many on here have some strong views on that, and I ain't got to watch much of it, but from what I've seen, it's just a TV program, so I wouldn't make too much of it, considering other programming is about tattoo artists, how midgets live, amish gone wild, honey boo-boo, buyin a bunch of crap out of abandoned storage buildings, etc., etc., it's just whatever you can put out there that makes money for you I guess. I generally like what I can relate to, so I will recommend to you Duck Dynasty, Tickle for about 15 minutes, and other than that the weather channel with your local weather. I grew up in a culture where the weather was very important to our day to day lives, and although we knew what the weather would be in our part of the country every day by just lookin out the window early in the mornin, everybody enjoys that 'Oh ain't it awful' feelin you get when you see it's floodin up in New York state or some other place.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dislike American Diggers. Although I have no proof I am highly suspect of some of the findings, particularly the Cannon that was supposedly found in the bottom of the lake/pond. And the Safe that was found behind a cinder block wall, as well has the Rare Remington .22 that was supposedly found in a cave. Also having much experience with antiques believe that the Prices they claim to get for their items are greatly inflated. Many of the Current "Reality" shows are partly if not completely staged. Sadly I think it detracts from how things actually are. Tell me when was the last time you saw The American Diggers or any one on Ric Savage dig up nothing but nails and pull tabs?

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All completely fake..planted finds and scripted sales....but from an ex pro wrestler, why not?

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
All completely fake..planted finds and scripted sales....but from an ex pro wrestler, why not?

JunkShopFiddler = Junkyard Dog:dontknow:

Not shown here in Canada. Don't know why, everything else is.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy is a Fraud....Way Over acted.... Way Overpaid....That whole show is a Joke.....Glad they arent showing that shiii here anymore.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the last few years, there have been about 6 perhaps 7 different detector series, primarily on the Discovery Channel. At least two were redacted or reedited to make it appear to be new material. It wasn't. And I have to agree with D'in! While I understand these programs are attempts at entertainment, no one except us diggers watch them! Assuming this is factual (I bet it is!), then don't you think the producers, et. al., would do a better job?

The truth is (let all of us tell the truth!), detecting is a tedious, tiring, wearying, and otherwise exasperating hobby. Offset of course, with an occasional find making the effort worthwhile! And once in a while, not often, just ever-so often, we find something buried in the ground to make all of our efforts pay off!

As for me personally... If I'm lucky, I find enough coin to buy a battery or two. If I'm not, at least I'm getting some well-needed exercise!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

OK, I just watched an episode online. After watching it, Diggers should win an Emmy because American Diggers is the biggest, phoniest crook of poop I've seen.
It should be on TLC because it fits right in with the mentality of those horrible brain dead shows.
When the old guy pulled a gun on that annoying Rick Savage I was hopping he'd pull the trigger and bury him in the hole. Then they find a pristine stand of grapes under/beside the hood they dug.:censored: :censored::censored:. What are the odds? I'd say about 1 : 1,000,000,000,000,000.

I do want to check out Dig Fella's though.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Not true? Not real? Oh shucks, can't trust anything. Next thing you know you guys will tell me there's no Santa Claus...

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

Not true? Not real? Oh shucks, can't trust anything. Next thing you know you guys will tell me there's no Santa Claus...

I'm sure Rick Savage will dig him up in the near future. :laughing7:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw a YouTube video of Ric Savage at the Baltimore Bottle club saying it is now a family show only the Savages will be on next season. He also said, that Rue Shumate recently found out he had cancer?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know if I much care sharing my hobby with new hobbyist, land owners, and BLM after a show like this has aired, and gained notoriety. If you see it on tv, it has a producer. The producer controls every aspect of the show. The folks portrayed are actors, even if they are experts. Not only do I think the hobby has suffered, the detectors we use has suffered also. I have a vintage detector that was made in the 70's, it still works. I doubt my new detector will work 40 years from now. This is a dead horse, and we keep beating it.

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
191 views 7 voters well 6 minus me this stinks ppl should vote or not read this fine thread

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig it! I really do. It's entertaining. It may be complete fantasy when the guy "finds" a gold coin or Confederate buckle, but, HEY, if I'm not watching the news, I am TRYING to escape from reality. So thank you very much! I also live vicariously through John Wayne and old Clint Eastwood westerns. I like it when the good guy wins.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not care either way, I never heard about it till I read about it on here, then watched a bit of it on YouTube, which bothered me since they were making craters in a manicured lawn, which if a non-MDer watches that show, will think that's acceptable technique for recovery when they get bit by the bug, and buy a detector and start making craters all over town....
Bugged me so much infact that I sent a email to national geographic about the show asking them to tell the guys on the show what I just said about craters, and they need to change their methods.

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig it! I really do. It's entertaining. It may be complete fantasy when the guy "finds" a gold coin or Confederate buckle, but, HEY, if I'm not watching the news, I am TRYING to escape from reality. So thank you very much! I also live vicariously through John Wayne and old Clint Eastwood westerns. I like it when the good guy wins.

great movies can we add rambo any movie and also death wish any movie as they are so believable aren't they

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I I also live vicariously through John Wayne and old Clint Eastwood westerns. I like it when the good guy wins.

An animated Clint Eastwood in the movie "Rango" as the "man with no name" out relic hunting with a metal detector beats watching Ric Savage any day!

_DSC0002 (640x344).jpg

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Complete Garbage... Bad for the metal detecting hobby... Fake... Staged... I have nothing good to say about any of the "detecting" shows... If I want/need to watch idiots, all I have to do is look across the street at my neighbors, but that's a whole different story...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread