Beach hunting tips?

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great choice of detector by the way seems to find the goodies. Now your question any tips for the beach I personally like to go to view the beach and where the people are sitting jumping swimming etc. This helps me to highlight and cherry pick early losses.

I then go back in the evening or early next day when the beach is empty.

If you want to understand the beach it will pay dividends to understand in a basic layman's terms the geological features. I've spent the last 5 yrs just researching this subject fascinating there are plenty of knowledgeable guys here legends such as sandman,manic miner oh wait that second one was an 80s classic computer game the sandman is a legend though some say hes retired to a chic laden island with all the booty hes found not sure bout that but he is meant to be writing a metal detecting book with several of the big names that are members here

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn the machine and become a student of the beach. In it's simplest form, most of the recent stuff is going to be where most of the people congregate. Just remember, most of the items you're seeking are less then an inch in size so select small areas of the beach at a time and then hunt each of them thoroughly. If you miss a square foot of beach then you missed 144 square inches of beach, or 144 possible opportunities. :thumbsup:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I like getting to the beach at sunup. That way I can hunt all the areas people will be/have been occupying, without them actually blocking my hunting areas.

Beat everyone there... And by the time it gets too hot, it's time to go home or start the water hunt portion of the day.

OP
OP
P

plumbcrazy

Sep 2, 2013
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is good advice. I do plan to hit the surf and hunt up to waist deep. Thank you!

OP
OP
P

plumbcrazy

Sep 2, 2013
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely wouldn't mind reading a book about beach hunting :) thanks for sharing.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I definitely wouldn't mind reading a book about beach hunting :) thanks for sharing.

Bob Trevillian and Bob Carter. (Spyglass productions) They did some books about sand/surf detecting. "Diamonds in the surf" and others. Mostly around the Chesapeake Bay. They are classics that will never get old. Also try books by Robert Marx. He was (is) a professional diver/treasure hunter. I am dating myself. They were the best at that time. Maybe others have come along since then but they would be a great place to start. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread