How you defend yourself?

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chicago, Detroit, Miami, and Washington DC, all have very strict guns laws. Yet, they have the highest incidences of gun violence in America. The USA is 3rd in gun violence among the civilized nations. If you remove those four cities from the count, we'd be 4th from the bottom!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
We Dont have Gun Problems Here??? Which Ontario do you live in? cause in the one I live in I hear about shootings DAILY.
In Response to other comments/questions:
yes you can own a LONG GUN here in Canada With a PAL . If you have a PAL/R Like me, you can have a Hand Gun. Just not Carry. I have a mossberg defender as well as my service rifle for home. like in the U.S if someone unlawfully enters my dwelling.....God have mercy on them...Cause i wont!!.....I CHOOSE to rely over 90% of the time(have Had ample experience)on my H2H CQC Training . Been proven to me time and time again......someone is less than 6ft and pulls a gun on you, you have a better chance with H2H than you do if you draw your piece
Oh yeah, H2H= Hand to Hand. CQC =Close quarters Combat. sure some do know (THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE)......I HOPE most dont.

I meant in my area where I live. True in Toronto there is gun violence. Jane & Finch area and young punk gang members.
I don't own guns but I'm not against them in the hands of a responsible, mature person.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Alan Applegate:

I think you need to factor in that Chicago, Detroit, Miami, New York (I added that city) and DC are surrounded by areas with very different gun laws. It's far to easy for someone in Chicago, for example, to go downstate and purchase a firearm. Or someone in New Yrok to take a buy to North Carolina and come back with a dufflebag full of firearms.

Local laws don't mean much when just crossing the city limits or a state line is so simple.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

PS: When I was riding San Francisco public transit every day, I carried a 35mm film canister filled with cayenne pepper. Happily, I never had to use it - although I have a friend who did find it come in handy one time...

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself a really big dog . I have guns, if you can get past my 120 pound Rottweiller , then past my 65 pound Pit Bull ! Which I really doubt. Quick story this dude with dreadlocks stole a car wrecked one night in my neighbors yard he jped my fence my dogs pinned him there. I hear the dogs I'm out back immediately. I yell for the cops hey my dogs got your guy he was crying please man don't let them dogs get me..... True story

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah guns don't kill people.........husbands that come home early kill people.....hehehe

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Tipton

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My alternative is my homemade pepper oil or powder. I own a 85lb bull boxer pit for my first line of home defense.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My alternative is my homemade pepper oil or powder. I own a 85lb bull boxer pit for my first line of home defense.

My alternatives are Remington 12 ga, Springfield .45, Ruger 9MM and Smith&Wesson 9 MM all locked and loaded at all times..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tipton

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My alternatives are Remington 12 ga, Springfield .45, Ruger 9MM and Smith&Wesson 9 MM all locked and loaded at all times..

Just replying to the question asked. If he asked what do you use for home defense I might reply differently

What way you are using now for the security of your home and business places in an area where the guns are totally banned.Because there is not a best alternate for the security of home and business other than a gun.:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just replying to the question asked. If he asked what do you use for home defense I might reply differently

Your reply was fine, I just listed my "alternatives" was all...

Wife calls 911, I am prepared to defend, if they kick in my door or break in anywhere in home they will leave in a body bag(s). Once inside my home, I will use "deadly force"....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Defend myself from What ?

The cold in the winter ? Heat & a Jacket :laughing7:
Sunburn on the top of my forehead ? a Cap :thumbsup:

& live in a Big City where police don't exist.
no reason to see what trouble you can get in,
because you would be ignored anyway

city.jpg

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago I had a horse shoeing job over at the California Coast, a couple of hour drive from home. There were enough horses to shoe that it was well worth my while to take the job, left early, got the job done a little after lunch, but before dinner and the drinking crowd. On my way home I stopped in a bar for a sandwich and a beer. The place was relatively empty, and I noticed a TV up in the corner that didn't have a tube in it. Sign below it said, "We don't have TV, but we have fights every night." I stay out of those places now. I have two herniated discs in my back, and there is no way martial arts would do me a bit of good. I don't go to places that there might be gangs, and try and avoid trouble best I can. But if there is some jerk with road rage or an under the bridge bum wanting to rob or carjack, or for any other reason they want to get physical, I'll not take a beating. My answer is a Sig 45 ACP with a laser sight carried in the car and a smaller .22 Magnum out of sight on my body. I've kept a shotgun in the house, but I think besides that and the .22 magnum I'll put a 357 magnum in the bedroom. No laser on that one though. Haven't done it yet, but this post has me thinking. A good dog is a good idea, I've believed in that for years. There was a time in Oregon when the law was no death penalty, therefore it was illegal to use deadly physical force for any reason except to protect your or another person's life, and you had better be inside your house at the time, and the bad guys body better be in there with you. At that time I thought a dog was the answer. But then a neighbor had a trained guard dog. His folks were going out of town, so in the evening he put the dog in the house. Next morning he could tell the house had been broken into by the broken window near the drive way. Going in, the dog was standing over the burglar with saliva dripping on his throat. He had the guy pinned there all night. Long story short. The bad guy sued the fellow with the dog, and won $6,000 damages, plus the judge ordered the dog be put to death. The judge didn't get the dog though, my neighbor moved away to save the dogs life. At the time of conception God might have made all men equal, but that equality ends soon after there have been some cell divisions, and it took Sam Colt to make men equal, and as far as that goes, little bitty 98 pound double a cup gal equal with a hulky 240 pound man. Some might think guns aren't the answer, but they aren't the problem either. Our immediate gratification, get something for nothing, drug addicted society has more to do with the criminal behavior of that class of people than any gun ever did. There are bad people out there, be alert, watch your back, avoid trouble, and like the Boy Scouts say, "be prepared."

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will quote from Lady Pirate: Criminals Don't Care

It is very obvious that we the people need to be able to protect ourselves, the police can only write up the report. Some police agencies have even stated it is not their job to protect us. So much for the police.

Mace, pepper spray, wasp spray as well as a 35 mm film can or similar small bottle of finely powdered Cayenne pepper also works well if the wind is not in your face. Biting also works to remove ears and noses (don't swallow), sticking a finger Through not just into an eye works. Lots of things work but they are up close and dangerous. I would rather defend myself any way I can rather than give in. A revolver with three bird shot rounds coming up first works and then the 2 or 3 solid slugs are next. I prefer Glaser Safety Slugs as they generally do not go through more than two sheet rock walls before they stop.

It is my life and I intend to protect it as well as my belongings and loved ones....................63bkpkr

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983?
Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)
Problem for me is MY response time,,, a few weeks ago at 2am cops come racing through my no outlet neighborhood, sirens blaring.. thinking an inmate escaped or that was their way of alerting the hood of something serious, I run to the closet and spent a few minutes deciding, whether the SKS, the 870, the MP5 clone 22 with Hi cap mags, 9mm or ,357 would be the most effective.. I grabbed a little of each.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Montana most have at least one gun, but I have two secret weapons, Hammer and Priscilla my Jack Russell Terriers. Nothing happens around here that they don' know about.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Beware of the man with one gun!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEVER shoot to kill. Shoot to STOP. ( if I must shoot, it will be to stop.... permanently) Sounds better in court. ALWAYS cheat in a gun fight. There is no honorable gun fight. TTC

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first choice in home defense is a 12guage with 8 rounds of #4 buck shot..........heck, this is what I take if I need check something outside at night also as a primary weapon.......never underestimate a shotgun.....they are devastating........
And if bad guys did not come seeking trouble, then there would be no gun problems anywhere......it is not the guns, it is not good and honest people; it is criminals and evil people who seek you out.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still relying on firearms when home. A large jawed terrier with a deep bark when I'm not.

DSCN1058_zps9ac2d468.jpg

DSCN1057_zps6cfccd8c.jpg

This was the last theif that came into the yard.

DSCN1024_zps5a3a23b3.jpg

That, and our neighboorhood watch is through crosshairs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread