All Treasure Hunting

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep. I disc out iron. Also take it slow and easy. Some goodies could be between the iron. And don't just work near the hole. Work away from it too. Once you think you have most all the non-ferrous stuff cleaned up, then you can start cleaning out the iron. One cellar holes can keep you occupied for many months.

Good Luck!
Swartzie

OP
OP
Luckystiff

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice read that looks like a lot of work. Never dawned on me about all the other debris that may have been dumped in the hole over the past 100yrs.some of the cellar holes I have found around my house are twice the size of the one in your article. I would need a backhoe to get any where near the bottom. I have to say most don't seem to have a ton of dumped junk just a lot of old metal parts sticking out of the ground.

Question: I know there's no way to tell but how deep did most old cellar go.4-5ft? from the top of the rock Foundation?

Last edited:

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You wouldn't believe what I have done at cellar holes...

Tons of back-breaking work but you will get good results.

1) cherry pick the site with your detector, using small coils around the foundation.
2) lower discrimination and dig every other non-ferrous object
3) use all metal and dig everything. Yes, even those pesky nails. Or simply proceed to step 4.
4) dig pits around the heaviest iron concentrations (usually around the foundation) and sift through the dirt. use magnets and metal detectors during this stage as well.

Happy hunting, and if you do "excavate" be respectful of the land and FILL IT ALL BACK IN.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread