Permission for foreclosed houses?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well thats something I have wondered about alot myself, empty homes all over my area, I have not tried asking at a bank, because I would think they would say no by default, due to liability, but odds are the neighbors probably already know its empty, only way I could see it going bad is if somebody thought you were a scrapper looking to pilfer the copper pipes/wire.
Under normal circumstances, id say ask first, but I absolutely hate banks, and all the crap they pulled by giving balloon mortages, to people who they KNEW would default...So I say Happy Hunting!

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
due to this being a Sticky Subject, I will not tell you what to Do.

I will tell you what I would do if I had two old ones on "my" road, & wanted to.
I'd discuss it with the closest neighbors on both sides, that I have half a mind to do it.
just to test the waters. & go from there

But since "my Road" consists of 12 Families in 10 homes, & no police.
not much to worry about.

Actually the house next door was empty for years, But I couldn't find & talk to the Owner.
and as soon as the Bank Re-poed they hired someone to Mow & prep for sale,
So I talked to him & got a "I don't care" which worked 8-)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I have two old ones on my road. Nobody lives in either and both have been foreclosed on.

who would I talk to...the bank? Or is it pretty much an "open" yard?

what type answer do you want? The technical answer (suitable for forums) or the realistic answer ?

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what type answer do you want? The technical answer (suitable for forums) or the realistic answer ?

I would be most interested to here your realistic answer (you know tease the hornets )

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally hit them All the time, unless there is a FOR SALE Sign or something. But Foreclosed and Condemed Homes are a big player for me. I have been talked to 2 times by the police while hunting these homes, and both of them could careless what i was doing, they were more concerned with my safety in the neighborhood i was in. Most of the forclosed homes here are City Owned.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I would be most interested to here your realistic answer (you know tease the hornets )

"tease the hornets". Exactly. Nope, won't do it. Learned my lesson well. It simply "colors" any other "permission issue" post from there-on-after. Thus in cases of this particular question, here's the answer: "don't do it, lest you be arrested" (and your car confiscated, and you go-to-jail-for-life). We all know that city/bank/realtor people are hiding under rocks to pounce on you afterall!

Last edited:

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go one better than that! I have several friends who are officers at my bank. One of them is a detectorist. So, when the bank repossesses a house, we go! Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would talk to the neighbors because they are the ones who would probably call the police when they see someone hanging around the empty house next door. The neighbors may have really liked or even been friends with the previous occupants. Even though the house is empty, the neighbors may still be protective of the house because it was their friend "Steve and Jane's house". Maybe swing by and just let them know that you'll be at the "banked owned house" next door removing some sharp metal from the grass. Use some excuse to talk to them, like ask if they know where the property line is... . Dress nice and maybe even wear an orange highway workers vest. Nobody would ask questions and they would probably stay out of your business. If you look like you belong there and are doing a job you won't be noticed. If you go sneaking around the bushes dressed in camo you will get bad attention.

Unless you have a direct connection to the current owner (bank), calling the bank will probably be useless. Detecting a foreclosed home without permission is still technically trespassing no matter how you look at it. You may be ok by just swinging by the property for a quick hunt but you are always taking a risk.

JunkDetector

Aug 12, 2013
Placerville, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Realize you are not only representing yourself but also the metal detecting hobby if you get arrested for trespassing. Ask for permission.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would tell you to just go and detect it but someone will come on here and say "would you like someone to detect your front yard without permission"? With that said...just go and detect it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would tell you to just go and detect it but someone will come on here and say "would you like someone to detect your front yard without permission"? With that said...just go and detect it.

If you come detect my place without asking I have a whole arsenal & I'll.....
& ................aaah never mind you know the drill :unhappysmiley: :laughing9:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would talk to the neighbors because they are the ones who would probably call the police when they see someone hanging around the empty house next door. The neighbors may have really liked or even been friends with the previous occupants. Even though the house is empty, the neighbors may still be protective of the house because it was their friend "Steve and Jane's house". Maybe swing by and just let them know that you'll be at the "banked owned house" next door removing some sharp metal from the grass. Use some excuse to talk to them, like ask if they know where the property line is... . Dress nice and maybe even wear an orange highway workers vest. Nobody would ask questions and they would probably stay out of your business. If you look like you belong there and are doing a job you won't be noticed. If you go sneaking around the bushes dressed in camo you will get bad attention.

Unless you have a direct connection to the current owner (bank), calling the bank will probably be useless. Detecting a foreclosed home without permission is still technically trespassing no matter how you look at it. You may be ok by just swinging by the property for a quick hunt but you are always taking a risk.

We must be talking about 2 different types of foreclosed homes....the ones i detect usally have bums sleeping on the front porch....but they dont seem to mind much

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

We must be talking about 2 different types of foreclosed homes....the ones i detect usally have bums sleeping on the front porch....but they dont seem to mind much

those durned bums made a big mistake: they didn't ask permission to "sleep on the front porch". Certainly, otherwise, they'd have known better.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You must be talking about abandoned looking foreclosed homes. Several of the foreclosed homes around here have Realtor signs in the yard and maintenance crews who regularly stop by. They are decent looking places in good neighborhoods.

If there is a bum squatting on the front porch, I'd say be low key and go for it. On the plus side, I have heard that bums can drop a lot of pocket change :laughing7:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive wondered the same thing and someone actually posted how to find decent home sites to hunt which was to look at realtor sites and filter the settings to only check for homes 1900 or earlier and that they were listed as foreclosed homes. I found like 20 in my area and plan on going but I will be asking the neighbors what they know of the place and that I would like to hunt the place and see if they wanted to see what I find. Figure if I had a neighbor out there with me I shouldn't be hassled by anyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread