Del Norte county

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome from a fellow Californian. I'm in Monterey county. The closest I ever got to hunting up your way, was in Eureka & Ferndale area. Got a mid 1840s coin in Ferndale. :)

You're in a pretty remote and sparsely populated (relatively speaking) area, so not sure how many hobbyists you'll find from on-line. Sometimes dealers though will know other hobbyists in the area (if there's even a dealer in your area :))

OP
OP
U
Sep 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol your right about the remote part. Anyone know if there has been any known
meteorites to fall in the area?

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're into meteorites, all you're going to find with a metal detector are iron-containing ones. The really good ones, like pallasites (<1% of the falls), can't be detected although some of the nickel-based ones will stick to a strong magnet.

I lucked out about two years or so ago. Why I picked up the rock, other than its color, I'll never know as the detector didn't make a peep. I soon discovered it would stick to a magnet (that is how my big digger shovel is attached to my pouch). It weighs in at just 7 ounces, but is worth about $1,500.

Your really don't need good luck, as meteorites fall all over. What you need is a sharp eye, and a bit of knowledge of what to look for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread