romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter 'Tectin' Tips

I want to get out into the frozen tundra that is Nova Scotia this week and do some detecting. Are there any hardware issues with the detector that I should be aware with as it relates to the cold temperatures? Is there anything I can do to the detector to protect it from the cold or is this even necessary? Thanks for the tips.

ps I have a masonry chisel and a 5 pound sledge hammer that I am going to use to get into the ground. Needless to say I will only be digging the real solid signals. ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Winter 'Tectin' Tips

maybe take the batteries out for a few 4-5 days so any condensation doesn't build up and short it out :-\ :-X
Ive been getting in the habit of doing that after i been out in the ran or inclement weather 8)
(cold into the warm indoors or a car)
also makes good practice to get into the habit of it
don't wont to blow a 1000 detector over in my case a 4-5 dollar crap battery :-\

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Winter 'Tectin' Tips

Might be a good idea to include a pair of safety glasses. Most batteries will have a short life in the cold. Maybe a waterproof detector would work better to ward off the condensation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread