Our Jefferson nickel almost looked like this!

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

Felix Schlag designed our Jefferson nickel, and this is what his original design for the back of the nickel looked like.

Luckily for us all, the Treasury secretary told him to try again. His next attempt gave us the nickel reverse side we're all familiar with today.

And by the way, did you know our Jefferson nickel was designed by a man who fought against the United States in World War I?

Felix Schlag was a German soldier in that war, but in 1929 he became an American citizen, and in 1938 his design was chosen for the Jefferson nickel.

The Jefferson nickel might never have been, except for the problems the Buffalo nickel was causing.

And the prize money Mr. Schlag won for his design was just about enough to pay for his wife's funeral.

This podcast tells these and other fascinating tales about the history of our Jefferson nickel.

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes .

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Felix Schlag designed our Jefferson nickel, and this is what his original design for the back of the nickel looked like.

Luckily for us all, the Treasury secretary told him to try again. His next attempt gave us the nickel reverse side we're all familiar with today.

And by the way, did you know our Jefferson nickel was designed by a man who fought against the United States in World War I?

Felix Schlag was a German soldier in that war, but in 1929 he became an American citizen, and in 1938 his design was chosen for the Jefferson nickel.

The Jefferson nickel might never have been, except for the problems the Buffalo nickel was causing.

And the prize money Mr. Schlag won for his design was just about enough to pay for his wife's funeral.

This podcast tells these and other fascinating tales about the history of our Jefferson nickel.

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes .

Awesome history thanks! I don't like the "modern" designs. I wouldn't like it if this was on our nickel lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread