Does anyone here have experience with burial mounds?

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Are we talking about the same government?

The one I know has George W. Bush vetoing everything that comes to his desk that has to do with the war unless it's an increase of spending. He thinks since he is "commander in chief" he gets to do what he wants. Meanwhile the system of checks and balances went out the window.

You can say constitution this and rights that but we the people seem to understand what is supposed to be granted to us under our bill of rights better than those we elect to serve us.

It is about ego and power and still boils down to who has more money and better lawyers.

Now how in the world did this topic run amok?

Let's just agree to disagree and I'll reiterate my initial point which was please respect things which are historically significant. We are the caretakers of the past so there will be a future.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Yoohoooo!
OH, Captbill!
Does the phrase "eminent domain" ring a bell? (My hillbilly sense of humor is coming to the forefront!)

The Gov. will do with your land what it wants! It's a shame, but that's the truth! Some of the same holds true in archaeology. Find a burial mound on your property and dig into it....if you're caught...watch the holy horrors of gov. abound! Burials are a different matter altogether!

Cavers5

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Does "The Second Amendment" ring a bell! ???
And!
I can guarantee you that most people have no idea of why it was so important that it be included!
And!
No!
It was NOT! for hunting or for your personal protection!
Hint!
It has something to do with the Federal Govt.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Hint! I think we hijacked this thread long enough with a political debate.

My apologies to treasure hunter for the way the thread turned.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the original question.Look above ground around the mounds. You dont have to dig. and if it is private land and the owner is agreeable then who knows what you will find. Example. Aprox 150 yards from a big mound. Above ground in the roots of a big tree. Legal and going to a local museum for display. Found this last weekend. You don't hide things like this, you display them to see how people once lived. It is history.
DG

Attachments

• grind stone apart.jpg
    grind stone apart.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,721
  • grind stone together.jpg
    grind stone together.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,705

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Not to take away from your "Find" !
And!
It is a good "find" !
But!
These ancient grinding stones are fairly common out in the west!
Most rural homes have them in their front yards! (Ornamental)

In Fact, in Mexico, they are still in use!

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil said:
Not to take away from your "Find" !
And!
It is a good "find" !
But!
These ancient grinding stones are fairly common out in the west!
Most rural homes have them in their front yards! (Ornamental)

In Fact, in Mexico, they are still in use!

That's a known fact. I have seen more grinding stones than I have taken the time to count.. We are not talking about common or rare, we are talking about the ability to find items on or above ground , around mounds. I could care less about its common-ness. It's just an example of WHAT CAN BE FOUND WITH OUT DIGGING INTO MOUNDS. ::)
DG

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Out here in the far west, ;D
We don't have "Mounds" per se!
We have cliff dwellings & Indian ruins (old towns or as in the Gild Bend area, A "City"!)
Yep!
A "City", complete with irrigation canals, that are still in use today.
They, the canals, run for hundred mile or so!

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil said:
We have cliff dwellings & Indian ruins (old towns or as in the Gild Bend area, A "City"!)
Yep!

I know, I have had extensive private tours of a number of them. I remember back in the 1950's when I saw my first Cliff Dwelling I was in total awe. I went to the library and read every book I could find on them. Few people can imagine the scope of their civilization's.
DG

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
cptbil said:
Has anyone, gone to the "Law Library" to see :
If, what is on YOUR! Property is yours to do with or NOT?
Most, States, decree,
As Does "The US Constitution" ( AKA, "The Law of the Land!")
It is your! PROPERTY !
NO ONE! Can tell you what to do with it!

Ahhhh.... Captain Bill.... you of all people should know that the land is NEVER yours. The government merely gives you the privilage of seeing after your deeded chunk.

Think of it this way: What happens if you don't pay your rent... errrr.... taxes? They kick you off the land. What happens if the Government decides that they "need" your land for a new Army base? They take it. What happens if they decide to put an Interstate highway through your land? You have land on both sides of the highway.

Get my point?

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Do you mean to say, to tell me, that, it's NOT! :'(

A Govt of the PEOPLE :P
For The People ::)
AND!
By! The People ? :o

AND! That "Ruby Ridge" and "Waco" were not accidents ? >:(

AND!
That Morning, When I was visited by ....
The State Police :o
The FBI :o
&
The ATF..... :o

They weren't just paying me a casual visit ? ::)

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
About private property,
Myself and my family own almost 100 acre of land in central Texas. IT is in a part that is prime Deer country. I may hunt the deer on my land...With a license and in season by order the laws of the State of Texas.
Yes the state has the right to tell people what they can do on their own land.
I would hate to live next to a fellow who opens a rendering plant in his back yard, that's why we have zoning laws.
As for burial mounds collect around the surface but leave the grave sites alone.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Then'll come the day when "They" can walk on to your property and search for anything they want w/o a warrant...
AS they tried to do at "Ruby Ridge"!

Stimpy

Feb 21, 2008
Here in Oklahoma burial mounds are so common that we have a town named after them. In the early 1900's, owning indian artifacts became chic and looting those mounds was rampant. There were cases of artifacts being sold for less than $5 per ton. I'm sure that's why we have many of the laws that are in place today.

-Stimp-

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil said:
Yep!

It's called "Phoenix". ;D ::)

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
Smee said:
Yep, there's a few in Arkansas. This one stretches for several miles and even gets denser that these. Tried contacting NAGPRA, no response.

The image I see shows what are called "pimple mounds". These are the natural result of liquefaction and many have been excavated. Many in the Arkansas date to the great earthquakes of 1811 and 1812 and can be verified by carbon dating. Some are much older.

Alan

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Great.......So when I am dead and gone..buried in the earth I can be safe in knowing that it won't be a metal detecter that digs me up, but an archiologist that does so in the name of "education" all the while telling non archiologists NOT to touch said graves.....thanks.....

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
graves, cemeteries, burial mounds, ancient burial sites will always be areas of controversy. Some of us might feel that there is no problem with digging around a site like this (if legal). Others will say it is disrespectful. Archaeologists have another term for it: grave robbing (unless it is them doing the digging).

Personally I would do as much research as possible, and if I decided that it was worth it I would try to find permission. Even then though you have to be careful, because no matter how many permissions you get, some will see it as the height of disrespect, and that affects the hobby negatively. It shouldn't (if you have all the appropriate permissions), but it will. That is why I would stay away from this kind of find, if it is indeed a burial mound. While personally I feel graves are just space taken up by decaying shells that once housed life, I also understand that other people feel MUCH differently, and I would stay away, much like the OP in this thread. Still, part of me would be dying to know what is in there! People get buried with the oddest things sometimes!

I don't plan on taking up any valuable real estate with my bones when I go, but if I do, I will take one of my best finds and have it placed under my butt just to drive everyone nuts! (joking).

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Persoannly I dont have experience but have some knowledge of what they look like from the sky.

This was brought to my attention several years ago:

BTR

Attachments

• Teepes rings.JPG
    Teepes rings.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 644

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread