Does anyone here have experience with burial mounds?

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, I have been into artifacts since I found my first during the floods of 1993 here in southern Iowa. On my husband's family land there is an abundance, it is along the Des Moines. Yesterday I saw a large mound, about 3 feet tall and about 6-10 feet long. I have seen a group of these from the road on neighboring land and wondered about them. NO I will never in a million years dig in one, I am just curious because locals say yes there are burial mounds in the bluff areas here. I wouldn't want my bones and loot dug so I won't be doing it, I just think it might be one because it sticks out like a sore thumb.

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
Mounds in Minnesota were researched a while back, some had contents, but most were empty, as I remember it, there not sure who made them or why...

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
YOU'LL NEVER KNOW FORSURE UNLESS YOU DIG IN IT.IF BURIAL I WOULDNT DIG MYSELF.I ENJOY ARTIFACTS MYSELF.I MIGHT DIG A SPOT UNTIL A FOUND BONES THEN STOP FORSURE.ANY ARTIFACT PICS?

Attachments

• DSC02800.JPG
    DSC02800.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,017

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always had good luck searching around the perimeter or outer edge of mounds rather than on or in them.
DG

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Please don't dig in the mounds, or around them.

1. They are protected.
2. If they are a burial mound, do you want the responsibility of messing with someone's final resting place?
3. Do the right thing, protect the past with a quiet admiration and a do not touch approach.
4. The ancestors get cranky when tomb raiders violate their peace.
5. Would you like it if someone was poking around your family's graveyard?
6. Even if the mounds are nothing but a bunch of dirt they were placed there for a reason. A navigational marker for people traveling on the river. A visual marker for people traveling over land. They have historical significance and you can protect our heritage by leaving them alone. They've stood for many years and you can help them continue to mark not only geography, but time. Admire but don't dig.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
Tricia said:

1. They are protected.
2. If they are a burial mound, do you want the responsibility of messing with someone's final resting place?
3. Do the right thing, protect the past with a quiet admiration and a do not touch approach.
6. Even if the mounds are nothing but a bunch of dirt they were placed there for a reason. A navigational marker for people traveling on the river. A visual marker for people traveling over land. They have historical significance and you can protect our heritage by leaving them alone. They've stood for many years and you can help them continue to mark not only geography, but time. Admire but don't dig.
GUESS YOUR RIGHT,THE MOUNDS WE DIG IN TX ARE JUST THE MOUNDS THAT THEY COOKED ON.REALY NO BIG SIGNIFIANCE.WE PRETTY MUCH KNOW WHAT THEY ATE.BURIAL MOUNDS ALWAYS A BIG NO.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tricia said:

1. They are protected.

I very carefully said search around. No one mentioned dig. You will be surprised at what you will find above ground. And do make sure it is on private land and you have permission from the owner. There is nothing wrong with operating that way. You do no damage to anything and can enjoy a nice walk in the process.
DG ::)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some in Mo, never dug in them, but they were plowed and I did hunt the surface. Found lots of nice artifacts.

S

Smee

Yep, there's a few in Arkansas. This one stretches for several miles and even gets denser that these. Tried contacting NAGPRA, no response.

Attachments

• graves.jpg
    graves.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,926

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

1. Would it be possible for you to please take photos and GPS the locations of these mounds?

2. If you do take the time to preserve the past by taking the photos and obtaining the coordinates, could you make an appt. with a local archaeologist (I personally recommend the state archaeologist) and ask how you can officially record the mound(s) information? There should be a site form that someone can help you complete.

3. Please keep photos and GPS locations in files of your own.

Wonderful finds! Thank you for not digging and disturbing the integrity of the sites!

Sincerely,
Cavers5

michiganman24

May 16, 2007
michigan usa
Detector(s) used
i use my eyes
Tricia said:

1. They are protected.
but its ok for universitys to dig in someone grave double standerd there

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only do they dig in mounds, they then take the artifacts they find put them in boxes and drawers and then hide them in back rooms for years, never to be seen by the public, all in the name of "research". ???

michiganman24

May 16, 2007
michigan usa
Detector(s) used
i use my eyes
Treasure_Hunter said:
Not only do they dig in mounds, they then take the artifacts they find put them in boxes and drawers and then hide them in back rooms for years, never to be seen by the public, all in the name of "research". ???
yea so than when they go broke, they will cash in all in the name of research waite i mean money,,,

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Aha...disgruntled, gentlemen? I'm an archaeologist and I get the same way dealing with some of the "educated idiots" in the profession.

Digging in a grave...HMMM....I've told my children when I die, not to bury me with anything of monetary value and to make sure there is a metal plaque inscribed with who I am as well as some of our immediate family genealogy! I figure I would make it easy on some archaeologist that comes along in the future...if they can read our language! And, if it's any grave diggers/robbers, they're just getting my bones and a metal plaque for their efforts! I don't think most archaeologists "like" to dig up a grave...for most, we "like" our quest for knowledge which I do believe to be more noble than digging it up only for artifacts of "interest" or "monetary" value or "I just want to see what's there!"

One reason that the artifacts do get put away in drawers and boxes is so they can be preserved and studied as a whole unit, not only individually. Also, as new methods for identification and dating become available, the artifacts are still intact as a "whole" so someone can utilize the new methods available. New data is constantly being extracted from "old" boxes and drawers of artifacts and bones.

It would be nice that if artifacts are going to be disposed of, they could be given to the public, such as classrooms or individuals.

And, you're right, there are archaeologists who are not exactly "on the up and up," so to speak. I've been unfortunate enough to meet a few and they are horrible. They are interested in only publicity and monetary gain. However, that's the world, bad apples in every barrel!

Cavers5

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Has anyone, gone to the "Law Library" to see :
If, what is on YOUR! Property is yours to do with or NOT?
Most, States, decree,
As Does "The US Constitution" ( AKA, "The Law of the Land!")
It is your! PROPERTY !
NO ONE! Can tell you what to do with it!

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
If it also happens to be of historical significance and is recognized as such...yes they can.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
It all boils down to who is PO'd and how much money they have or how disgruntled they are regarding the situation.

Most people are fine if there is mutual respect. But when people go all treasure crazy, that's where the problems start.

If everyone respects each other's property and there is permission, all is golden.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
I am afraid that the point has been "missed" !
"A", or! "The" Govt can not pass a law(s) that tells you what you can or can't do on your PRIVATE PROPERTY! *
That happens to be a basic concept on OUR! Constitional Right!
A personal "like or dislike"....ie: respect for ???
Morality....
AND! That nasty word being "PC" !
Has nothing to do with the issue !
AND ! We had better ALL "Pray" that it stays that WAY! :-\

I have informed FEMA of JUST! That fact !
In a Public Meeting ( 300 people present) and reported by "The Corpus Christi Caller Times" (Our Local Newspaper)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread