Help Please - Cub Scout Project

A

ahnuld

I am a cub scout den leader. I was thinking it would be fun to take them rock collecting, fossil or treasure hunting. Some sort of fun collecting type trip. I remember when I was a scout going to a site that we collected fossilized shells. Nothing great now, but as a kid remember loving it.

We live in Orange County California and I was hoping someone might know of a cool but very safe site I could take a bunch of 7 year old boys?

Thanks,

David

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hmm, im on the wrong side of the country, but perhaps you can contact the local division of parks and recreation in your area. maybe they know of a quarry or something?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Why not contact a GPAA chapter near you and see where you could take them or introduce them to gold panning?There are several chapters in CA but they don't list the county.Call 1-800-551-9707,that's the main office of GPAA and ask them where you can take them or the number for the nearest chapter to you.Our chapter here in MO give several panning demos for kids each year and I'm sure the other chapters do also.

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
I was a scout leader for many years. And was the Scout O Rama chairman for several years. I got the local treasure club to put on a planted hunt for the boys for three years. It was a great success.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Have you ever been to Tourmaline beach in San Diego? the cliffs bordering the beach are loaded with fossils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread