Heres a story for everyone......

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here's a story for everyone......

Some years ago, I had been working at a huge old factory in Northern Illinois that made testing equipment for years. I heard this from an exec who worked there, that was a good friend of my dad's:

The factory used gold on their instruments, and some pieces were ground off slightly, to finish them. There was an exhaust fan that sucked the air out thru the roof.

A young man watched this happen every morning as he drank his coffee from his kitchen, and watched the gold dust drift out and glitter in the sun, just a little bit at a time, as he lived close by the factory. He watched where it fell, by a sidewalk, and seemed hardly noticeable. This went on for many years, and he wondered how he could someday recover that gold, and what it would amount to.

As luck would have it, he was a cement contractor, and he was asked to bid the job to replace the old sidewalk after many years went by. He bid the job cheap to get it, and put a clause in the contract that any debris removal he was responsible for, and he could retain it for fill or however he saw fit.

He said when they were tearing it out, the gold dust could be seen in layers in the dirt under the grass. He carefully hauled all of the grass, and all the dirt away, and replaced it. He finished the sidewalk, and found a way to seperate all the gold dust from the soil.

His take? At least a hundred thousand. Talk about making a dream come true.

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Re: Here's a story for everyone......

Good story Scotto now we gotta find out where all the old plants are or were. I saw what looked like wire gold in the plastic chairs that were used outside where I used to work. They were there after every windy rain storm. Never did find the source.

OB

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Great read... another reason to keep your nose to the wind and your eyes on the horizen!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story. Thanks.
-MM-

T

TreasureTales

Great story. I always like to hear about people who used their heads, ingenuity, common sense, and creativity to make lots of money. I guess that explains why I'm not rich!!! LOL

In a somewhat similar vain..there is a guy here in California who got the idea to retreive golf balls from his local country club and then sell them to the golfers at a reasonable price. He made so much money doing that that he was able to hire others to do the recovery for him, he became a millionaire. And of course there's the guy who searched for and found meteorites and then sold them. He also became a millionaire.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a friend who owns a dental lab. They make partial plates and crowns for dentists. A lot of their work is done in gold and it takes a lot of grinding and polishing for fitting. Each work station has a dust collector much like a bench saw collects saw dust. He rocovers several thousand dollars worth of gold every year or so. He then remelts it into ingots and starts the process all over again. They even have a special vacuum cleaner with a filter that capturers the gold for doing the floors. Monty

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Here are a few places to start looking at..........

Three Rivers Gold Plating Company
1506 Wall Street
Fort Wayne, IN 46802

Custom Gold Plating Co.
7474 Creedmoor Road
Raleigh, NC 27613

Precision Plating Company 4123 W. Peterson Ave. Chicago, IL 60646

Douglas Metal Finishing, unit 3b & 4b Juno Way Industrial Estate, Juno Way, Lewisham, London SE14 5RW

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

A number of years ago a movie theater was being renovated. It was an old theater which had been there for many decades. Folks in the know offered to take that old, thick carpet which had been there since it's opening off their hands.

Some of you already know what they were looking for. After that old carpet was cleaned they had a nice collection of......

DIAMONDS-They had been knocked out of their settings and had been accumulating in the carpet for decades.

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread