Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider this a branch off of "The Best Digging Tool" post.
I'm just curious as to what alot of you use out in the field when you encounter tree roots? Does anyone bring a pruners or shears with them, or do reply on the saw edge of some of your diggers? Quite honestly, I bought a Lesche digger recently, and wasn't too impressed with the saw edge, or the amount of dirt it could dig out of a hole due to the thin width of the tool. Not trying to offend any of you die-hard Leschers out there. It just didn't seems to cut through the roots too well. It just kind of skimmed across like a butter knife, even on roots about 1" in diameter. I resorted to chopping away at them instead with the 3' tall shovel I like to dig with.
Any input on what you use would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MM
P.S. Before anyones asks...."Yes, I WAS using the right end of the Lesche tool." ;D

papa

Sep 21, 2006
MM, before I got my tool from AP,I used a mini e-tool.One side of the shovel blade is serrated.Touch the edge up with a file,and you are good to go.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowes has a locking foldable root saw, folded its like 7 inches long, shark teeth eats right though a root.

With my assualt vest i can carry everything >> sorta like inspector gadgit

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the Lesch digger.I've been using this for the last 2 years at least and it hasn't broke yet.It's 11 inches long, double edged,one side serrated and very sharp,made in Japan and I found it at a yard sale for a buck.I have cut through roots up to 2 inches thick.Most of the time they are less than an inch thick though.It's real good for cutting plugs.Wish I knew where to get another one just in case this one does break,or rather when it does.I do carry a small hatchet for big roots.I'll have to check out that root saw that sleeper mentioned though.

Attachments

• plugknife.jpg
    plugknife.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 287

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• EXBS.jpg
    EXBS.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 248

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Don't know why you are having a problem with your lesche. I have cut roots over 2 inches with mine. Try to sharpen it and see if that helps.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I bought this to chip out hard packed (dry) clay and quickly discovered it slices through tree roots usually with one swing!
terminator.jpg

Brick Laying hammer. Lowe's $16.00. Belt loop Ace Hardware $5.00. Finding a pulltab under a 6 inch root- priceless. ;)

Ridley

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of tools, what do most of you use to carry around your digging equipment? I have an electricians pouch that fits on a belt and will carry my hand held pinpointer, my gloves, a couple of digging tool and has a pocket for things like batteries and to put my small finds in. Problem is, when I get everything in it it tries to pull my pants down around my knees! I tried my turkey hunting vest but the sharp digging tools would eventually cut through the canvas. I keep my digging tools razor sharp because it makes digging so much better. I have a pair of snips that will cut through smaller roots quickly but the big ones I have to hack or saw with my digging tools. Monty

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Monty

You can pick up a pair of capanter suspenders at Lowes or Home Desprate for about $10. They are great! I used them when I was an electrician, they could really hold up the weight, and they generally keep your pants from falling down as well ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of tools, what do most of you use to carry around your digging equipment?

I use an AWP carpenter's belt bag (and belt) from Lowe's. Dyed green with Rit dye. The side leather pieces have sheath-like pockets that the trowel can slip into. Cost less than $10 (as did the plastic & padded knee pads)

If I hit a root in the woods or my own property I use the shovel shown. Tip is chisel sharp, one edge has teeth. It's offset like a Lesche for a good foot push. If I hit a root in a park I probe around it with the coin probe (rod in a golf-ball).

Attachments

• Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IM000843s.JPG
    IM000843s.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 198
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lucky1777 said:
Don't know why you are having a problem with your lesche. I have cut roots over 2 inches with mine. Try to sharpen it and see if that helps.

Lucky,
I'll sharpen it & give it a try again. It is brand new, so I thought it was ready to use.
Thanks,
MM

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
index.php

green folding root saw cheap 10 bucks

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie, your tool holder is almost identical to mine and it is tough enough to keep the diggers from poking through. I have my handheld pinpointer in one of the side loops and my small nippers on the other loop. Guess I need a bigger belt and a set of those suspenders. Thanks guys for the pics. Monty

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty, here is what i use, it has loads of pockets with velcro and snaps, a web belt that you can put any mil type item on and best of all it is suspended from your shoulders so all the weight feels like nothing. You can do a search on ebay for them under " load bearing vest " most are under $20 bucks.

Attachments

• LoadBearingVest.jpg
    LoadBearingVest.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 173

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to keep your Lesche sharp - it's hard to get a good edge on it, but once you do, it's their for a long time. I put mine on a wheel and tapered the abrasion all the way down to a polish and buffing wheel. It shines like a new nickle and it's razor sharp!

Night Stalker

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
After breaking an expensive pair of pruners, I now use a sheetrock saw. Sharp, widely-spaced teeth...takes a little elbow grease, but works well. Nice yellow-topped handle, to help find it easier when it slips out of my pouch. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread