Paying to hunt property

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When i got up this mourning i decided to do what i never had the nerve to do ask someone for permission to hunt their property.It was a little farm i had my eye on and never saw anyone hunting there.So i went to the house knocked on the door.I was hoping i would say the right things to the guy.He greeted me great.even asked if i wanted some coffee.I thought this was great but he seemed to nice.I started telling him i would like to treasure hunt on his property.He said fine and i could come and hunt anytime i wanted too anywhere on his property.And i could keep anything i found.The catch was he felt what was fair to him was if i paid him 200 dollars for the right to hunt his property.And he said if i decided to do so he would even give me a letter of permission.If the deputy sheriffs stopped and ask me if i had an ok.Because in some areas he had no tresspassing signs posted.My question has anybody here ever paid anyone to hunt on their land?I did thank him for the coffee and said i would get back to him if i wanted to do that.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never paid to hunt, but I’m a poor boy.

If it was a one time fee, and able to hunt any time you wanted and was several acres in size and shows potential signs (old homes or church sites, or any place where people lost things) of being a good hunting area, then $200 I would say is a fair price.

How many movies or ball games can you go to for $200? With metal detecting, you have a chance to make some of your money back.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have heard of hunters paying private property owners to hunt land, but it's not that often. Most of the time it's just a handshake, or a verbal "help yourself", etc... Or if some money were exchanged, it would be more of a "cut" type of thing IF something was found. Not a pre-payment for the simple right to stand or walk there.

However, in other cases, I've heard of people paying to hunt a site. But those are usually in cases where a) the answer would otherwise be "no", and b) if you had reason to believe you REALLY wanted to hunt there. Eg.: that a stage stop, or old virgin picnic grounds or campgrounds, etc.. were, etc...

For example: There was a particular CW site (camp or battle site or something) that was/is currently on ag. land. Persons over the years had tried, but failed, to get permission to go there. So some wise guys got the idea that if they showed up with several thousand dollars cash, during fallow season, that the landowner couldn't say no. So the md'rs got several buddies (or a group or club hunt or something) to all pitch in to the kitty. Sure enough, when they came back to the farmers door with wads of cash, he .... uh .... "saw things differently". But this was unique, because there was known CW activity on that area. But no, wouldn't be beneficial to just "any old farm land".

OP
OP
justdon

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think in that area people have found old arrowheads.But nothing spectacular to speak of. And i don't have 200 bucks extra just to take a gamble on that.By him asking for that is probably why i have never seen anyone hunting that area.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i knew there was gooood relics on his property like a cw camp, then yah I would probably ditch him the $200 - but I wouldn't do that unless I knew for sure from research,etc that there was artifacts on the property. I am a member of a few hunting clubs out in the Northern Neck of Virginia (game hunting clubs) and i use that access to relic hunt. One of my fees for one of the clubs is $475 a year. So sometimes you gotta pay up... But you better make sure you are gonna find something, I rarely ever pay a property owner.

plumbcrazy

Sep 2, 2013
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion would be to do research specific to the areas he owns, and only consider paying if you find evidence of historical gatherings. Do the research though, if it turns out he is sitting on a gold mine of artifacts, you could easily make that 200 back plus some. If you do pay him make sure that you have a specified amount of time sufficient enough to cover the entire grounds in writing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have paid $100.00 to hunt a Very large % of my county for one year

Everything in Yellow here
Plus more

Untitled3.jpg Untitled4.jpg

Untitled1.jpg Untitled2.jpg

Untitled5.jpg

Problems allot was Stripped out, Homes & villages which they took control of ,
and kicked residents out,
grew up like Mad

So I only had late Winter, very Early Spring,
Very Late Fall I early winter

& Forget about Winter here :(

Point being $200.00 seems a bit steep, Unless it's a lifetime pass,
& he lives very long yet.

And like others said their if are things worthwhile Hunting.

Sounds to me like he Watched the Boom Baby

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I couldn't imagine paying. Lucky to live in rural TN and be a "big talker". Seldom get turned down. I would like to give advice not use the term "treasure hunt". I ask if I can "metal detect" and show them old flat buttons and a few CW relics I look for. Always make a joke about the time is not worth the effort but I do it for the history. In reality I believe it is true. I look for history. Total expense and time involved it is a rewarding hobby and somewhat self supporting but doubt most of us could really say we make much money compared to the same effort in a regular job. I am sure many of us do it dreaming or even expecting one day to make a big money find but the hard core history is enough for me to stay interested. Yep ......... I would love to find a pot of gold. But being rich and this good looking is just too much to ask for. ............ You would realize I am kidding if ya could see me.:icon_thumleft:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$200 seems a bit high to me.........perhaps he would take less of offer his half of what you find......

OP
OP
justdon

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I couldn't imagine paying. Lucky to live in rural TN and be a "big talker". Seldom get turned down. I would like to give advice not use the term "treasure hunt". I ask if I can "metal detect" and show them old flat buttons and a few CW relics I look for. Always make a joke about the time is not worth the effort but I do it for the history. In reality I believe it is true. I look for history. Total expense and time involved it is a rewarding hobby and somewhat self supporting but doubt most of us could really say we make much money compared to the same effort in a regular job. I am sure many of us do it dreaming or even expecting one day to make a big money find but the hard core history is enough for me to stay interested. Yep ......... I would love to find a pot of gold. But being rich and this good looking is just too much to ask for. ............ You would realize I am kidding if ya could see me.:icon_thumleft:

You make a good point because when i said treasure.Dollar signs could have gone off in his head.

OP
OP
justdon

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$200 seems a bit high to me.........perhaps he would take less of offer his half of what you find......

Also thats a point doc-d.Next time i talk to him i will make that offer.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That guy/farmer might be a Master Metal Detectorist with Friends too, and him/they, beat his land for the last 40 years ...and watches that Crap on TV ( OOO i got roundness in the hole Big $$) and just thought here comes another one of them modern MDers.
This gives me a idea,when i when i get to old to detect anymore...i`ll put up a sign to hunt my property For $$.
Gary

OP
OP
justdon

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know what G.A.P. metal.Never thought about that.But i will take your other advice.There are other places to hunt.Because he could have just beeen reeling me in.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, nope not me. I love detecting, but I surely won't pay to detect anyone's property.....unless it sat on a gold vein.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you all know about these DIV hunts here in Virginia that they do? 100s of MDers show up and ditch out $200-$300... Just look up Virginia DIV hunts...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread