Whats legal and whats not?

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
Through many years of treasure hunting I have been told many things about
what you can do in or on different lands (state,fedarel,private,other) as for as
treasure hunting.how do you know? Most say don't tell or don't get caught.
But thats kinda hard when your starring down a shot gun barrle or talking to ranger rick
about what your doing in a state park.
konnon6

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Best bet is to research the area you want to hunt and find out what the rules are BEFORE you ask anybody.
I've been at the wrong end of a barrel before, and it ain't no fun. I go a little more prepared now. Thankfully, I rarely get asked, but its better to know beforehand.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
as far as parks go, contact the department of parks and recreation.

Z

ztzzt

I just hunt where I want to until they ask for my equipment and keys and get the cuffs out. (You can USUALLY talk your way out of the cuffs.) It helps to know the local Sheriff. ;D

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rosco P. Coletrane . . . . . hig gig ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, basically you are tresspassing, defacing property and removing articles that aren't yours. So without permission you run a good risk of getting in trouble. Private property is easy - own it or ask the owner. Somebody owns everything. Whether it's the town or county for tax back payment or an absentee owner. It's not yours. City and town parks - ask the park superintendant or call the town clerk's office (or drop by) and ask permission. County parks - similar. Usually a more informed supervisor. Around here it is allowable in certain areas and in the off season. State Parks. More difficult. Generally pretty regulated and they frown on removing anything from pine cones to fossil, so what's in the ground is everyones - not yours alone. I was told "you can detect but you can't dig or remove objects. Yippee. "Beach areas are OK with written permission". Yeah, where the ocean laps up here in central NY. I hunt state forests and tree reserves and have never been questioned. Lots of those contain old foundations. I don't go in and make an obvious large dig. I leave it looking like I found it.

Federal Parks. Don't know, never tried, but battlefields and memorial parks I know will get you in hot water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is best to research the rules first. By detecting first and taking a chance that you will be approached and told to get out makes us look bad in the eyes of the public. Some state parks in Michigan for example are off limits or only have certain areas where you may detect. There are no rules posted at the gate entrants. Many rangers don't know the rules either. Most of the areas where detecting is allowed are only the parking lots, which are paved. ???

OP
OP
K

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes its allways better to get permissoin first.
I'm working on a permission form now to carry with me.Seems that park rangers
Don't get informed or want to call it in. I also lost a metal detector to a guy in a sheriffs
uniform and badge.(he wasn't a sheriff nor do they drive unmarked cars)needless to say
I didn't get the license no# either! I have learned to be polite, not volunteer information
and bring a friend or friends.Be aware of whos watching you at all times.Walk away
or leave the property.Get IDs license#numbers if its law enforcement.always smile say your sorry and didn't know.NEVER LEAVE A MESS.leave it how you found it. Be aware of your surroundings who's there( these days people kill for a pair of tennis shoes) do you think they wouldn't kill for some silver or gold coins or your metal detector?
Wear the right type of clothes,bring water,food,protection from snakes if in brush.
Just check things out first and be safe and beaware.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Whats legal and whats not? Seems to me that in the U.S., ex-specially these days, it depends on what your name is, and how much money you got... ;D

Na,,, That's a hard question to answer. Some of the State parks here in Indiana will let you hunt, and others won't. You just have to ask... I have often wondered the same thing about all the people I know that go out Mushroom hunting. Most of them will go onto private property to do it, and not even give it a second thought...

Good luck, & happy hunting~

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always best to ask. I have been turned down quite a few times because someone before me didn't ask or they left holes for some to have to fill back in. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. Written permission is always best so you can prove you did ask. Have a good one.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
In Minnesota, the only time you can detect in a state park is if you have lost something & tell them specifically what. Several of them will go with you, to collect the zinc pennies or whatever you might otherwise steal. I'm not sure what the penalty is here for state parks, but it's $500 fine last I heard for detecting in MN forests.

For city parks, city police tell if it's OK. For county parks, county sheriffs office probably best info source. It gets confusing at state & Federal levels because everybody wants to be in charge, or doesn't know who is. One problem you can run into is one person says OK, then someone else comes to arrest you. Some state parks have clear laws on detecting, when, where & if allowed. Federal property, arrest virtually certain. I would not detect Federal property, even with written permission. HH, George (MN)

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
In new york state parks require a permit,$20,which only covers the region of the state you are getting the permit in and only certain parks and certain areas in those parks.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Whats legal and whats not? Lets start or own list!

I thought about posting something on the "general discussion by location" page regarding this matter.I was gonna start with Florida since thats where I live.The title would read something like this;Metal Detecting Laws In Your Area,,,Post Them Here!
If everyone on here, were to post in the applicable state,the laws for or against detecting in certain areas,we could create a database of information pertaining to the laws in each state and all counties,cities,towns,municipalities,provinces,parrishes and so on and so forth..As we learn more about a specific county or city or town we could add more information regarding the laws for or against detecting in such said area.I know the laws in my particular area,do you? Does this sound like a good idea or am I just blowing smoke?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread