Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be Lost Without Mine

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Early on, I was stubborn (cheap?) re. buying a pinpointer. While detecting with a friend, the hole I was digging got bigger and deeper, until I was about to give up (my plan was to spread the dirt on a sifter, to locate the target). Ken came over with his pinpointer, and located the target immediately...along the side of the hole. (It happened to be my first ever King George copper - exactly on edge.)
The next day I ordered one. It helps locating the target in the hole...especially important with the high-end machines going so deep - and sometimes not pinpointing very well themselves (coin on edge, etc.). It helps to locate the target when it comes out of the hole. That also adds up to protecting the target - you could more easily scratch it otherwise.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swingman said it well..........Saves time and helps pay for itself. Also helps cut down the mess you might leave.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love mine and use it almost every time. I pinpoint before digging. Nothing more frustrating than digging and poking only to find the coin up in the grass roots in the overturned plug. :D Since then I've learned to lift and sweep to judge depth, but it still makes the digging easier. I cringe at the gouged silver and gold coins I see here and other forums because someone jabbed it. Pinpointers can prevent that.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA
I am glad I saw this thread, because I have been wondering the same thing about pin pointers. Two days ago I decided I might as well get one, but the big question is which one? I have looked at what seems like hundereds of ads for them and read most of the propaganda about each one......... And am still at more of a loss then when I made the decition. I perfer not to go over $200, any advice? Please

Brad

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The definitely come in handy, I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

NS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread