Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Antelope'' An Experience of Hope?

I went out to this spot to do a little artifact hunting, that has an old spring that is surrounded by sagebrush and salt bush for several miles. Any ways, as I was leaving my vehicle I noticed this antelope down by the spring runoff getting a drink, and after a little bit it runs off. Later on, as I am coming around the bottom of the coulee I see this antelope (not sure if it is the one I saw earlier) and as it is walking it appeared to have a hard time walking. It appeared like it had shaky legs.
It went a short ways and laid down. I carefully and slowly walked towards it taking photos. Eventually I was able to get right next to the antelope, and sit right next to it. I slowly reached down and rubbed it on it's nose and pet it behind the ears and neck. The antelope at no time made any attempt to get up.
I do not know what may have been the problem, but the experience was awesome. My only guess is that it may have ''Blue Tongue'', a disease that is transmitted by a fly.
It really can be upsetting knowing that there is nothing that you can do but hope it gets better. Here are some photos of my experience.

Folder #1 023.JPG Folder #1 024.JPG

Folder #1 027.JPG Folder #1 028.JPG

Folder #1 029.JPG Folder #1 030.JPG

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible experience but an awful heart wrenching one as well....to be able to make contact with any wild animal like that is out of the ordinary to the point that unless the animal is constrained or sick its near impossible.That doe is assuredly ill,and I bet will be dead within a day or two....sad thing is it likely wont be a kind death,as you know.....coyotes arent real "ethical".Blue tongue and Hoof and mouth are both terrible ravaging disease'.Great pics my friend!!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell from photos but did you check and see if she was pregnant ? if it is a she.. no clue just asking...

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell from photos but did you check and see if she was pregnant ? if it is a she.. no clue just asking...
....doubtful,they fawn in the spring.....and even if she was they/she would never allow a human to approach like that.....wouldnt be many antelope if they did

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, antelope have their fawns in May to June around here.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great photos, but sad, she is darn sure sick, and no doubt died.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible experience but an awful heart wrenching one as well....to be able to make contact with any wild animal like that is out of the ordinary to the point that unless the animal is constrained or sick its near impossible.That doe is assuredly ill,and I bet will be dead within a day or two....sad thing is it likely wont be a kind death,as you know.....coyotes aren't real "ethical"

That's what bothers me the most, knowing that if I can get that close to it, I'm sure the coyotes wil not be that merciful. But that is the way it happens.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But there is that hope that the antelpoe recovers. :dontknow:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better to have despatch it, rather than let it be torn apart...you can't get that close to a wild animal with out something seriously being wrong. Quite a experience you had, and a gut wrenching one at that.

SS

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down in the Quake Lake Area of S. West Montana I walked around a steep rock precipice,to come face to face with a very large Bighorn Sheep Ram,laying down.I was literally three feet from him,face to face.He didnt even attempt to get up.The whole herd had lung worm phenmonia,and was nearly wiped out completely (some herds were).I actually considered putting him oout of misery like SS recommended but thought of the legal ramifications and against my will walked on....I later asked a Warden "what if",and was told that it would have been comparable to poaching and wanton waste of a game animal....with special circumstances/enhancements as well,because Bighorn Sheep are a specialty Big Game Mammal

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down in the Quake Lake Area of S. West Montana I walked around a steep rock precipice,to come face to face with a very large Bighorn Sheep Ram,laying down.I was literally three feet from him,face to face.He didnt even attempt to get up.The whole herd had lung worm phenmonia,and was nearly wiped out completely (some herds were).I actually considered putting him oout of misery like SS recommended but thought of the legal ramifications and against my will walked on....I later asked a Warden "what if",and was told that it would have been comparable to poaching and wanton waste of a game animal....with special circumstances/enhancements as well,because Bighorn Sheep are a specialty Big Game Mammal
Terrible thing to have to make that choice Mate, I would have had a good look around, and then put the poor animal out of it's misery, but I understand your choice.

SS

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger, it would be rather refreshing to have some wardens with a little more compassion and common sense when enforcing laws. I know of a person who shot a deer with a handgun that was wounded from being hit by a car being an upstanding citizen he took it to the warden of the area who proceeded to cite him for discharge of a handgun ect ect to bad for the warden he new the Govenor of his State I heard the warden had to appoligize and return the gun.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with both of you,unfortunately many of our laws dont leave room for common sense and many that are supposed to be in place for reasons of compassion actually are gross violations of such....these situations are prime examples...I cant list a few more that really chap my rear...I digress.Fact is if I would have done what I should have done....it was a fairly remote area and not a lot of people,so it would not have been hard to add two and two,and I not only would have a damaged reputation,and pocket book but would have lost my job and forever banished from the ring of affiliation of which I depend on.Still are darn tough call...right now people do not even realize it is un lawful to dispatch your own livestock/pet

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana law states that you ;cannot'' legally put down any big game animal that may have been injured in an automobile accident, or as in my instance a so called mercy killing.
If I am correct there is some legislation being pushed to allow it so big game animals that are hit by vehicles, to allow the meat to not be wasted.
But as in my experience and Kuger's experience, your only legal route is to either leave the sick animal and allow nature to proceed or report it to the local warden.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here in Montana you are allowed to pick up deer and elk sheds, but it is illegal to pick up and keep any big horn sheep skull that has died of any natural causes.

''BIG'' Fines if caught!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,have to have a plug....boy seen a lot of em between that epidemic and the Melrose one.....very,very sad to see so many I had come to know,after annually coming to watch them fight,just die

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about this for two days. I'm probably going to upset some of you but. You talk of compassion and what an awesome experience how do you think the animal felt being sick and have its enemy get close enough to pet it. Like I said I am not trying to upset anyone just don't understand the need to pet a sick wild animal.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about this for two days. I'm probably going to upset some of you but. You talk of compassion and what an awesome experience how do you think the animal felt being sick and have its enemy get close enough to pet it. Like I said I am not trying to upset anyone just don't understand the need to pet a sick wild animal.

I welcome your opinion. I am not sure if you are hinting that you care less for animals, (domesticated or wild), that are in state of being sick or hurt. But to be out and about and happen to find a animal that is naturally afraid of humans, and does not flee, a normal human reaction is compassion and to investigate and sort the mater out. As I stated before, this antelope at no time in my approach made any attempt to try to stand up and try to flee from me the ''mighty predator''.
There are a lot of animals that have that extra sense of what to fear and what not to fear. I still feel privileged to be not feared by an animal that would normally not allow a human get within two or three hundred yards from without fleeing.

I hope that sometime in the future you can understand and see the need to care for any sick animals that God has put here on this earth for us to coexist with.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very,very well said........

something folks dont understand too is that there are places in the back country(places like the BoB Marshall wilderness for example)where the animals dont react to people quite like other wild animals do....they dont see humans as a super predator (actually there,its so lousy with Grizz,the tables are turned)I am not saying its like some Disney movie but I have had Mt. Goats,and deer actually out of curiosity come to me....within feet of me...and for anybody else' info that may not know....Pronghorn antelope are one of the most curious animals in the wild....they will come from great distance's to cure there curiosity.I see what your saying and respect your opinion though...I would never recommend aproaching any animal your not familiar with.....especially a sick or injured one

Digger,I hear there is an epidemic of some kind of a gnat that goes up the nose of deer and suffocates them...?In Missoula...?Wonder if....?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread