dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have found one silver dime with my Delta 4K I don't rember what the signal # was I have found tons of pennys quarters dimes all clad I am excited to find silver coins and even gold . I have practced on mt gold rings I have they come in at high 50's . please tell me some of your tips for finding some of thes please . When I found my silver dime I rember I almos passed it up for I was in a yary with a lot of nails and penny and trash in it . Is it true that a coin will give more that one tone ? So please if you have any tips please let me know oh BTW I have found some 30 06 and 30 30 brass and one .38 cal brass jacket from a full metal jacket ( in a state park ) the jacket only in state park .
Thank You in advance
Dusty from Brownsville Texas

Last edited:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dusty, coins will sometimes give a little of a faint iron tone, especially if they are deep. Usually if you get right over them the sound will clean up. When in doubt dig, but one thing that I have found is that targets that are shallow and will not give a fairly consistent VDI reading will usually be can slaw or similar trash. Again when in doubt dig. Oddly enough you will find the soil will change the normal reading on a coin from time to time. I dug a couple of memorials yesterday that read just below the dime reading while hunting for CW relics. Also silver will often read about one point higher than clad. One of the big ones to remember as well is that an Indian Head Penny will read almost 10% lower than a modern penny. I am not a coin hunter per say as I spent most of my time hunting old home sites and CW relics but have been at it for years. A really GOOD set of headphones, if you don't already have them, will do as much to help you on the old coins as anything you can buy. An old deep coin has a much fainter and smoother sound that you can't pick up on without a good set. At least I can't anyway. When I first got my G2 the guy gave me a set of inexpensive headphones that came with it and had never been used. They looked to be descent quality, and are a brand that is often packaged in detector deals. I got a set of Killer B's and the difference was night and day. Any of the premium brands should be a huge improvement. My hearing is well below par from too many years being an active gun enthusiast, but still think they will greatly benefit anyone. Well that is my 2 cents, Best of luck.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dusty1530

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TNGUNS
I do use a set of headphones I thik they improve the sound a lot . I to have a hearing loss form years spent as a sonar tec on a submarine . Please don't get me wrong I do want to hunt CW here also there is a lot of history that took place in Brownsville from the war of 1812 to the CW but most battel fields are owened by the US Gov here . I do plan to go to the local beach here and look for rings and chains and such . I hope one day to find a gold coin I have found a 1943 coin from Mexico ( cencino centovo )
I am just looking fpr pointers from anyone who will help I am always willing to learn .

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not sure on your detector, but on my AT Pro silver will read in the 80s, and on my CTX a consistant 13 for conductivity. My pointer is to find older houses, 1940s and back. In my state I can go to a county website and pull information on houses concerning the owner and year the house was built. It is 98% accurate on the date, but I know of a few homes where the date is off on the site.

I am a in a little rut because I have found Indians, Mercuries and even a Seated dime, but I am not finding any Barber coins or Standing liberty quarters. Those two things are on my bucket list, but not IN my bucket. I know that it will just be a matter of time though. I get frustrated because there are a lot of houses where I know I can find older coins, but no one is ever home when I knock.

OP
OP
dusty1530

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not given up I'm still on the hunt