Messages In Bottles

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 3 since I was a kid. One from a man in Newfoundland who was proclaiming the love he had for a woman, the second was from a little girl in Rockport Mass., and the third was from my ex's little sister (found it about a half mile from her house.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jarl,
My great-grandfather used to do this in Northern Indiana back in the 1930's. He would drop them into the Little Kankakee. I have all of the letters that came back to him from the people that found them. Some were returned fairly quick, some years later, but one was found 35 yrs later in Illinois. I always thought this would be a fun thing to do, but nowadays we would probably be fined for littering. :laughing7:
We used to tie notes on helium balloons and see who would find them. Never did get any replies though. :icon_scratch:
-MM-

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to do this once as a kid, but the dang bottle kept coming right back up on shore.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Jarl,
My great-grandfather used to do this in Northern Indiana back in the 1930's. He would drop them into the Little Kankakee. I have all of the letters that came back to him from the people that found them. Some were returned fairly quick, some years later, but one was found 35 yrs later in Illinois. I always thought this would be a fun thing to do, but nowadays we would probably be fined for littering. :laughing7:
We used to tie notes on helium balloons and see who would find them. Never did get any replies though. :icon_scratch:
-MM-
Years ago, there was a silver object in my hay field. Investigating I found a deflated balloon with a note. It was from some kids in the Lutheran Church in town, perhaps 6 or 7 miles away. I took the note and sent it to my friend in Sweden, who was a Lutheran minister. From that point, I don't know what happened, my friend passed away, and I'm not a Lutheran, and didn't know anyone in that church, but I chuckle every time I remember doing that, and I hope he sent it back to them and perhaps they are still telling the story of the balloon that went all the way to Sweden.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stories everyone :thumbsup: I think I will do this, regardless of the liter charges lol! I thought of that too, and watching that video of the guy walk over mounds of garbage ... is sickening at the same time. I don't really want to contribute to the crap people have already done to this earth, but sending a message via sea intrigues me so much.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stories everyone :thumbsup: I think I will do this, regardless of the liter charges lol! I thought of that too, and watching that video of the guy walk over mounds of garbage ... is sickening at the same time. I don't really want to contribute to the crap people have already done to this earth, but sending a message via sea intrigues me so much.

I don't blame you Jarl. I think you should do it too. I think I may try it myself. :occasion14:
-MM-

lhow2000

Feb 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter threw one in ocean in Newfoundland and was found next year on a beach in Castletownshend, Ireland.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , If i threw a bottle in the local river ,it would only get as far as the next dam and if i threw a bottle into the Southern Ocean if i didn't get hit the head by the bottle on the next in coming wave . Seals ,shark and whales do not read . TP

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dropped one in the ocean about 35 years ago. Never heard anything back. I have never found one myself. I have however, found some tags on the strings of helium balloons that were released, and responded to them.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tossed one into a river that flowed behind my house when I was a lonely kid, maybe ten years old. If it was found, my address and ph.# has long changed. Now with internet, maybe it's still possible. It's only been 43 years or so....still waiting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread