Ever buy a machine that keeps falling apart ?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, here goes. I tried to do this in a nondescript manner because I like Garrett products and the ATP, as I believe that I mentioned in the original post. There was no ulterior motive to the post. I was simply wondering if I was having bad luck with the machine and or if these issues were generaly more common than I realised in the industry as a whole, because I have only owned three machines. An ACE 250, Tesoro Tejon and the AT Pro, all bought new. I also knew that the ATP had teething problems years back so I waited a while before buying. To tell the truth I love the machine, it rocks. But first the arm cuff went on it. No biggy, I just glued and fiberglassed it back, no complaints to anyone, anywhere about it. I didn't deem it worthy of a fuss. Then I saw posts were people were getting replacemnets for them, I still didn't want to bother about it. Then later the land headphones connection came apart. That was about three weeks or so ago. After this I noticed a horizontal air pocket running across the screen. This is when I had a moment of frustration. Recently I have read that, and it is confirmed here, this is a minor issue that will not affect function, which is cool, so I will forget about it. I just went through a one, two, three punch that rubbed my fur the wrong way and I wondered what the he.. was next. As I said, it was a real dichotomy as I think that the machine rocks, thus another reason why I tried to shield Garrett in the original post. Anyway....... to back up a bit. I emailed garrett after the land phones failure. I got a prompt reply to contact the west coast distributor because I live in the west. I did and was directed to contact the east coast distributor (Canada), which I did, because I bought the machine from Ontario. We did our thing and I waited patiently. Then impatiently as I watched the mail box for about two weeks. Then after more emails were I was told that the package was delivered but I didn't pick it up, I got the tracking number from them. The package was sent to the wrong address about a thousand miles away. I saw this and mailed the distributor yesterday telling them about the shipping snafu. This is were its at now. I had previously sent them via email my complete name and address. And if they had of given me a heads up that they shipped, and or sent the tracking number I would have seen the shipping foul up a week ago. But there never was a shipping heads up, I wasn't even positive if something was shipping. As I said, the arm cuff was not an issue for me, I did a self repair and enjoyed the machine, which I still do. But I could not repair the headphones were the tiny wires came apart, so I had to do something then. And when the display bubble issue came up I kind of popped. I tried my best to be patient through this and I understand human error with the shipping. I have not sent foul language to anyone, anywhere, regardless of my frustration at times. And I repeat that I tried to do this as a generic post with the intent of getting a feel if these issues are fairly normal for any manufacturer. I don't know, it was my first time to have multiple issues with a machine. I made the stupid mistake of forgetting about the machines that I had listed. There was no foul intent here other than trying to vent frustration and gain some perspective. B.T.W., thanks Wayne for your help, I sent you an email. I feel like a dummy because of the listed machines. It was not my intent for the innocent inquiry to go in this direction.
No problem :thumbsup: it just seemed strange that you made a post about faults on a new machine, when it would have been better to send it back. I guess things are different over there to here, here it would have been replaced straight away, but I guess living aways from a dealer has it's problems as well.

SS

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect that Garrett sells thousands of AT Pros each month across the world. They do have good build quality. Like anything electronic and used in outdoor environments, there is a failure rate. I can tell you from the ones I have personally sold, we have had very few repairs. I think I have had less than ten customers ever break the old style arm cuff. As mentioned, Garrett has improved the arm cuff and replaces broken ones quickly. All detector brands have units that fail, what's important is how they resolve the issues and address common failures going forward.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Im glad they are fixing it for you. If you cant talk about it here, then where then? You are not alone, they are still shipping out bad stuff lol. No one likes to hear about it, guess its some sort of secret. The failure rate is high for me since I only bought one Garret detector lol. Takes a lil over a week for them to fix mine. Its in the mail as we speak. Unfortunately good service beats a warranty that doesnt transfer when you buy a used machine. My other detector has a coil issue. I live just a few miles from the manufacturer, you think it would be easy to get some work done. But Im not throwing good money after bad. My next detector will not come from some guy with a business out of his Garage. As much heat I give the Garret guys, I like the AT Gold. But dont tell them that. Good luck with the repairs, a replacement may be needed.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad they are fixing it for you. If you cant talk about it here, then where then? You are not alone, they are still shipping out bad stuff lol. No one likes to hear about it, guess its some sort of secret. The failure rate is high for me since I only bought one Garret detector lol. Takes a lil over a week for them to fix mine. Its ion the mail as we speak. Unfortunately good service beats a warranty that doesnt transfer when you buy a used machine. My other detector has a coil issue. I live just a few miles from the manufacturer, you think it would be easy to get some work done. But Im not throwing good money after bad. My next detector will not come from some guy with a business out of his Garage. As much heat I give the Garret guys, I like the AT Gold. But dont tell them that. Good luck with the repairs, a replacement may be needed.

yes it doesn't hurt to let the manufactures know you mean business sometimes :laughing7:

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad they are fixing it for you. If you cant talk about it here, then where then? You are not alone, they are still shipping out bad stuff lol. No one likes to hear about it, guess its some sort of secret. The failure rate is high for me since I only bought one Garret detector lol. Takes a lil over a week for them to fix mine. Its in the mail as we speak. Unfortunately good service beats a warranty that doesnt transfer when you buy a used machine. My other detector has a coil issue. I live just a few miles from the manufacturer, you think it would be easy to get some work done. But Im not throwing good money after bad. My next detector will not come from some guy with a business out of his Garage. As much heat I give the Garret guys, I like the AT Gold. But dont tell them that. Good luck with the repairs, a replacement may be needed.

Thanks. Yes, I like my ATP also, regardless of the parts failures. In the last two digs it found coppers from the twenties to the forties, a 1917 large cent and a 1950 silver quarter, among the rest of the bits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread