Ever buy a machine that keeps falling apart ?

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought another new machine this year just before swinging season. I will not name the brand because I like the company and its products. But I have NEVER had a new machine with so many failures. First the arm cuff. Then the proprietary headphone connection fell apart. Now there is a horizontal line that I can move around with a finger nail, across the display cover. I am not hard on equipment at all because sending it anywhere from here is a hassle. My other machines have been solid with no failures over several years. I'm trying to be patient and I really enjoy the machine, but I am starting to wonder about build quality. Have you ever bought a new machine that kept slowly falling apart on you ?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, I would demand a factory replacement and sell it so that I could be done with that company.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted one as well you hear so many hunters who love them, but just heard too much about the same issues you are having. Figured I can't hit the water much longer here in TN anyway. Getting too cold. Got a T2 instead as I have been finding some unusually deep stuff in a couple of the sites. Maybe they will improve a few things on them or a competitor will come out with a similar one. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.:icon_thumleft:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought another new machine this year just before swinging season. I will not name the brand because I like the company and its products. But I have NEVER had a new machine with so many failures. First the arm cuff. Then the proprietary headphone connection fell apart. Now there is a horizontal line that I can move around with a finger nail, across the display cover. I am not hard on equipment at all because sending it anywhere from here is a hassle. My other machines have been solid with no failures over several years. I'm trying to be patient and I really enjoy the machine, but I am starting to wonder about build quality. Have you ever bought a new machine that kept slowly falling apart on you ?
........ I think i also know what detector you are talking about....... But to put up something up about a detector and not name the detector brand & model is only half the story................ You should put up the whole story or put up nothing at all......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since it would be first hand Experience & not he said/she said comments,
I believe you should post the whole story also, and make sure
the company/Dealer & everyone else knows your issues.

Your detector should be replaced .
They can send you a postage paid Shipping Carton,
with the new one, so you would not be out of service
at any point, or just advise you to trash the present one.

here in the u.s, there is a Lemon law for vehicles.
perhaps they should have written it with everything in mind.

Good Luck !
whatever you decide

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh & as for the horizontal line on the display cover ?
does the cover have a clear plastic pastie on it like new cell phones ?
perhaps it's got air under it and just peeling off, now that it isn't new

images.jpg

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I can see it being a hassle shipping it back to Texas from Canada.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The arm cuff has been upgraded, the new ones have a ribbed design for strength. The display screen actually has a plastic label over it, clear in the middle with graphics and text on the outside. Sounds like you need a new label and arm cuff at a minimum. I've sent you a PM with a contact person to ask for that can get you well taken care of.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The arm cuff has been upgraded, the new ones have a ribbed design for strength. The display screen actually has a plastic label over it, clear in the middle with graphics and text on the outside. Sounds like you need a new label and arm cuff at a minimum. I've sent you a PM with a contact person to ask for that can get you well taken care of.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Awesome Wayne :thumbsup: NWMP , take Wayne's advice,
I would imagine They can ship them to you, & you can replace them yourself
same as Minelab did for my Arm cuff on my Explorer

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardly fair slagging of any company if you have failed to complain about the product, they can't put right something, if they know nothing about it in the first place.

SS

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Gary said, you only have two detectors listed in your profile so the POS has to be the AT PRO since nothing ever has to be fixed on the Tefon and it doesn't need a screen. What made you down grade from the Tejon?

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
As Gary said, you only have two detectors listed in your profile so the POS has to be the AT PRO since nothing ever has to be fixed on the Tefon and it doesn't need a screen. What made you down grade from the Tejon?

For sure it's the AT Pro. But I believe they couldn't meet the demand so they rushed them with no quality control then. Personally I've never had a problem on my 2 Garrett's other than the plastic battery holder snapping and they quickly sent me 2 for free.
The Tejon is a high end machine for a mid range price.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure it's the AT Pro. But I believe they couldn't meet the demand so they rushed them with no quality control then. Personally I've never had a problem on my 2 Garrett's other than the plastic battery holder snapping and they quickly sent me 2 for free. The Tejon is a high end machine for a mid range price.
The only thing that was real cheap about the Tejon were the battery compartment doors. They are molded in hinges like new igloo cooler lids that don't last anytime. But they do sport a lifetime warranty so maybe it's not an issue for some.

Last edited:

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damn, didn't realize the garrets were cheaply made. my next purchase was going to be an AT Pro. Maybe I should research a little more oO

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect that Garrett sells thousands of AT Pros each month across the world. They do have good build quality. Like anything electronic and used in outdoor environments, there is a failure rate. I can tell you from the ones I have personally sold, we have had very few repairs. I think I have had less than ten customers ever break the old style arm cuff. As mentioned, Garrett has improved the arm cuff and replaces broken ones quickly. All detector brands have units that fail, what's important is how they resolve the issues and address common failures going forward.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardly fair slagging of any company if you have failed to complain about the product, they can't put right something, if they know nothing about it in the first place.

SS

OK, here goes. I tried to do this in a nondescript manner because I like Garrett products and the ATP, as I believe that I mentioned in the original post. There was no ulterior motive to the post. I was simply wondering if I was having bad luck with the machine and or if these issues were generaly more common than I realised in the industry as a whole, because I have only owned three machines. An ACE 250, Tesoro Tejon and the AT Pro, all bought new. I also knew that the ATP had teething problems years back so I waited a while before buying. To tell the truth I love the machine, it rocks. But first the arm cuff went on it. No biggy, I just glued and fiberglassed it back, no complaints to anyone, anywhere about it. I didn't deem it worthy of a fuss. Then I saw posts were people were getting replacemnets for them, I still didn't want to bother about it. Then later the land headphones connection came apart. That was about three weeks or so ago. After this I noticed a horizontal air pocket running across the screen. This is when I had a moment of frustration. Recently I have read that, and it is confirmed here, this is a minor issue that will not affect function, which is cool, so I will forget about it. I just went through a one, two, three punch that rubbed my fur the wrong way and I wondered what the he.. was next. As I said, it was a real dichotomy as I think that the machine rocks, thus another reason why I tried to shield Garrett in the original post. Anyway....... to back up a bit. I emailed garrett after the land phones failure. I got a prompt reply to contact the west coast distributor because I live in the west. I did and was directed to contact the east coast distributor (Canada), which I did, because I bought the machine from Ontario. We did our thing and I waited patiently. Then impatiently as I watched the mail box for about two weeks. Then after more emails were I was told that the package was delivered but I didn't pick it up, I got the tracking number from them. The package was sent to the wrong address about a thousand miles away. I saw this and mailed the distributor yesterday telling them about the shipping snafu. This is were its at now. I had previously sent them via email my complete name and address. And if they had of given me a heads up that they shipped, and or sent the tracking number I would have seen the shipping foul up a week ago. But there never was a shipping heads up, I wasn't even positive if something was shipping. As I said, the arm cuff was not an issue for me, I did a self repair and enjoyed the machine, which I still do. But I could not repair the headphones were the tiny wires came apart, so I had to do something then. And when the display bubble issue came up I kind of popped. I tried my best to be patient through this and I understand human error with the shipping. I have not sent foul language to anyone, anywhere, regardless of my frustration at times. And I repeat that I tried to do this as a generic post with the intent of getting a feel if these issues are fairly normal for any manufacturer. I don't know, it was my first time to have multiple issues with a machine. I made the stupid mistake of forgetting about the machines that I had listed. There was no foul intent here other than trying to vent frustration and gain some perspective. B.T.W., thanks Wayne for your help, I sent you an email. I feel like a dummy because of the listed machines. It was not my intent for the innocent inquiry to go in this direction.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have degenerative arthritis in my three lower vertebra which I take pain meds for daily. I love the ATP tones, as I did with the little ACE 250 because it helps me to decide if a hit is worth bending over to recover. I have real lower back problems and I often hunt in pain that gradualy gets worse while swinging. I love the hobby more than I am willing to give in to my back. I had a period were I could not stand up and had to urinate in an ice cream pail on my hands and knees, between writhing on the floor with sciatica and repeating charley horses going through my thigh, etc. But anything that helps me to bend over a few times less is a God send for me. I love the Tejon and it is definately a seriously strong machine. When I was in the north it found wonderful fur trade relics for me in the mild rich black loam. Now I am in the southern grasslands with high to very high mineraliztion and the ATP's coil is better suited to the local conditions. Actually the ATP has many features that I find attractive and I enjoy the machine immensely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread