Detecting 101

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone: I hope my story here helps at least one person. I got into metal detecting about 14 years ago. I got injured at work and had several failed surgeries, so now I am disabled retired. I take a lot of medicines so nobody will hire me for that reason. I have 70% left and 80% right hearing loss. My first detector was a Garrett GTAx750. I joined a club and hunted with members a lot. With my beginner machine I have found
1. A 14k gold and diamond ring the stone is 1.4 ct I had it appraised $7,262.00
2. A total of 11 diamond rings, All sizes, found on beach
3. I found 3 Saloon tokens from Des Moines N.M. found in south Texas. Sold to collector for $2000.00. Was not intended on saleing them but the money was right.
4. $1400.00 in clad finds for 4 years.
5. Numerous silver rings and class rings (Returned the ones that I could).
None of my finds were more than 5 or 6 inches deep. These are all land finds. It's just that I over lapped my coil and worked slowly, but mainly I dug every signal until I learned what my detector was telling me. With my hearing loss I could still tell the difference between the sound of a quarter or dime or can. Of course my volume was pretty loud in my headphones. Since this time I have had several brands of detectors but never did as good as when I first started. I like all the brands and models., but at this stage I am only at mid-level machines. Some work with my type hearing loss and some do not. But all in all If you don't learn your machine and put your coil over the target you will never be the best that you can be. There are no short-cuts to learning and the finds are not on the other side of the field so slow down and have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread