Batteries
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Batteries

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sam Ryan

Apr 2013
    NC
    Fisher F75 SE LTD, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett Pro Pointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question Batteries

Hey, Would like to have some info. on the type of batteries you guys use for your metal detector. Thank You and HH!!

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    12004 times
    Metal Detecting
    Eveready alkaline.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Oct 2009
    8088 times
    Rechargeables only unless it's an emergency. I just moved from the factory pack to the RNB pack for my E-Trac and I LOVE that battery! 30 hours on a charge!

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1206 times
    Duracell or Energizers usually. I buy the large packs at Wally World. Did buy some store brands in 9v and a couple of times could tell where they were just starting to leak. Not worth the risk for me. The T2 lasts 40 hours on a set so they say with only 4 AA's which is pretty incredible. I change them well before they are showing half down, but just a silly mindset thing. New batteries = hotter ........ when in reality you can't run the T2 at max anyway, so I doubt new batteries would have any effect on performance.

us
    Apr 2013
    SW MONTANA
    MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
    78 times
    Metal Detecting
    I use AA non-rechargeable Energizer Lithiums. I know they are more expensive but they last 3X longer in my detector so are worth it to me. Also they are less effected by the cold temps I have in my area. I use Lithiums in my GPS also again for the same reasons.

ca
    May 2009
    Southern Ontario
    Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
    471 times
    Panasonic industrial alkaline 9 volt on my Outlaw. First battery lasted 72 hours of hunting. Longest battery life I've used ever.
    Last edited by Ronzie; Oct 12, 2013 at 04:25 PM.

ec
    May 2013
    Ecuador, America
    2416 times
    Just purchased some re-chargable batteries to use......

us
    Oct 2009
    8088 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TNGUNS View Post
    New batteries = hotter ........ when in reality you can't run the T2 at max anyway, so I doubt new batteries would have any effect on performance.
    This is still a common misconception, but hasn't been true since probably the early 70's. Detectors (and almost all electronics) have voltage limiting circuits. The batteries may start with 12 volts, but the detector is using only 8.3. So it continues using 8.3 volts until the batteries drop below that, then the detector shuts off because there isn't enough voltage to operate. Your detector battery meter is basically showing you the scale of usable life, not the actual battery power.
    Last edited by Jason in Enid; Oct 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
    TNGUNS, LifeNRA and wildcarrot like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18394 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I did get desperate one time, used some Dollar General batteries. They lasted about 1/4 of the time quality batteries last, but they did work in a pinch and were cheap!
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Bill Jones

May 2007
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Multiple Tesoros and Whites
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    This is just my opinion, but unless a given detector is pretty hard on batteries most of us that don't get out as much as we'd like, will do just fine with good, name brand alkalines. I wish that I were getting out enough that battery life is an issue. That said, any of us that spend much time coin shooting aren't trying very hard if we have to buy batteries out of our regular budgets. I'm not knocking those that prefer rechargables as I can see they offer advantages for heavy users, but for many of us I don't see batteries as a major issue. My two bits.
    luvsdux

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2959 times
    I use an XLT (AA) for general hunting and a hays 2 Box (9V) to cache hunt plus a surfmaster PI (AA) for beach. So I always use duracell coppertops , both AA & 9V. I buy them at BJ's. The AA come in a 40 pack. Frank...
    Name:  hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  43.9 KB

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    This is still a common misconception, but hasn't been true since probably the early 70's. Detectors (and almost all electronics) have voltage limiting circuits. The batteries may start with 12 volts, but the detector is using only 8.3. So it continues using 8.3 volts until the batteries drop below that, then the detector shuts off because there isn't enough voltage to operate. Your detector battery meter is basically showing you the scale of usable life, not the actual battery power.
    Jason, terrible thing is that I know this. ha ha. I think another factor is that the battery indicators usually aren't very accurate. Most seem to hold very high and after they show any decrease have very little life left. I will say the T2 dropped one bar after maybe 10 or 12 hours and held there seems like forever so I changed after the next one. Not had the detector all that long but it seems that it is going to allow incredibly long battery life. The "WHEN IN DOUBT SWITCHE EM OUT" mentality.

us
    Pulltab

Jan 2013
    Orland Park
    Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
    188 times
    I use energizer rechargeable a in my detector, pinpointer, headphones and wireless transmitter. The batteries in the headphone have lasted twice as long as the manufacturer says regular batteries should last.
    Rechargeable a are the only way to go for me, otherwise my battery stash would end up used by the kids as happened in the past.

us
    John

Apr 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
    81 times
    Home Depot has the best price on Energizers AA batteries. You can get a 36 pack for a few dollars more than walmart's 16 pack! I think I paid $14 for 36 where walmart was $11 something for 16. Also, be careful what batteries you use in a Pro Pointer. Some are slightly smaller in length and will not make good contact. Unless you add a thicker piece inside the cap.
    wildcarrot likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1790 times
    My information is to avoid batteries that are labeled Heavy Duty or Extra HD. as they are lead/acid and when they leak will destroy most of what they contact. Many won't say on the label that they are lead/acid only Heavy Duty.
    I have seen some with names most trust leak so I made the rounds removing them from all kinds of stuff form the thermostat to the exerciser bike.
    Chop wood..Carry water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links