Batteries

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rechargeables only unless it's an emergency. I just moved from the factory pack to the RNB pack for my E-Trac and I LOVE that battery! 30 hours on a charge!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duracell or Energizers usually. I buy the large packs at Wally World. Did buy some store brands in 9v and a couple of times could tell where they were just starting to leak. Not worth the risk for me. The T2 lasts 40 hours on a set so they say with only 4 AA's which is pretty incredible. I change them well before they are showing half down, but just a silly mindset thing. New batteries = hotter :icon_scratch:........ when in reality you can't run the T2 at max anyway, so I doubt new batteries would have any effect on performance.:icon_thumleft:

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use AA non-rechargeable Energizer Lithiums. I know they are more expensive but they last 3X longer in my detector so are worth it to me. Also they are less effected by the cold temps I have in my area. I use Lithiums in my GPS also again for the same reasons.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Panasonic industrial alkaline 9 volt on my Outlaw. First battery lasted 72 hours of hunting. Longest battery life I've used ever.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New batteries = hotter :icon_scratch:........ when in reality you can't run the T2 at max anyway, so I doubt new batteries would have any effect on performance.:icon_thumleft:

This is still a common misconception, but hasn't been true since probably the early 70's. Detectors (and almost all electronics) have voltage limiting circuits. The batteries may start with 12 volts, but the detector is using only 8.3. So it continues using 8.3 volts until the batteries drop below that, then the detector shuts off because there isn't enough voltage to operate. Your detector battery meter is basically showing you the scale of usable life, not the actual battery power.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I did get desperate one time, used some Dollar General batteries. They lasted about 1/4 of the time quality batteries last, but they did work in a pinch and were cheap!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is just my opinion, but unless a given detector is pretty hard on batteries most of us that don't get out as much as we'd like, will do just fine with good, name brand alkalines. I wish that I were getting out enough that battery life is an issue. That said, any of us that spend much time coin shooting aren't trying very hard if we have to buy batteries out of our regular budgets. I'm not knocking those that prefer rechargables as I can see they offer advantages for heavy users, but for many of us I don't see batteries as a major issue. My two bits.
luvsdux

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I use an XLT (AA) for general hunting and a hays 2 Box (9V) to cache hunt plus a surfmaster PI (AA) for beach. So I always use duracell coppertops , both AA & 9V. I buy them at BJ's. The AA come in a 40 pack. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is still a common misconception, but hasn't been true since probably the early 70's. Detectors (and almost all electronics) have voltage limiting circuits. The batteries may start with 12 volts, but the detector is using only 8.3. So it continues using 8.3 volts until the batteries drop below that, then the detector shuts off because there isn't enough voltage to operate. Your detector battery meter is basically showing you the scale of usable life, not the actual battery power.

Jason, terrible thing is that I know this. ha ha. I think another factor is that the battery indicators usually aren't very accurate. Most seem to hold very high and after they show any decrease have very little life left. I will say the T2 dropped one bar after maybe 10 or 12 hours and held there seems like forever so I changed after the next one. Not had the detector all that long but it seems that it is going to allow incredibly long battery life. The "WHEN IN DOUBT SWITCHE EM OUT" mentality.:icon_thumleft:

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use energizer rechargeable a in my detector, pinpointer, headphones and wireless transmitter. The batteries in the headphone have lasted twice as long as the manufacturer says regular batteries should last.
Rechargeable a are the only way to go for me, otherwise my battery stash would end up used by the kids as happened in the past.

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home Depot has the best price on Energizers AA batteries. You can get a 36 pack for a few dollars more than walmart's 16 pack! I think I paid $14 for 36 where walmart was $11 something for 16. Also, be careful what batteries you use in a Pro Pointer. Some are slightly smaller in length and will not make good contact. Unless you add a thicker piece inside the cap.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My information is to avoid batteries that are labeled Heavy Duty or Extra HD. as they are lead/acid and when they leak will destroy most of what they contact. Many won't say on the label that they are lead/acid only Heavy Duty.
I have seen some with names most trust leak so I made the rounds removing them from all kinds of stuff form the thermostat to the exerciser bike.

Gfrrt

Sep 23, 2013
Monroe
Detector(s) used
White's cm pro and Discovery 1100 with garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This made me think and laugh at myself. I'll buy a 40 dollar digger, 130 dollar pinpointer, and saving for 600 dollar detector but in when buying batteries...WHAT!!! 6.00 FOR 2 BATTERIES!!!! Man they're killing me!!!...:laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
My information is to avoid batteries that are labeled Heavy Duty or Extra HD. as they are lead/acid and when they leak will destroy most of what they contact. Many won't say on the label that they are lead/acid only Heavy Duty.
I have seen some with names most trust leak so I made the rounds removing them from all kinds of stuff form the thermostat to the exerciser bike.

Most batteries are of the 'lead /acid type'. The alkaline type are too, but they have a stabilizing additive that extends there use. The rechargeable type are various other combinations. The lithium type are used in combination with different materials.
Battery development has been boosted by the electric car research. Even the old lead/ acid type have been improved with modern sealing methods. Look at the coppertops. They have a shelf life of several years. When the price of Li rechargeable s comes down, I will switch. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I ended up with some Heavy Duty types made in China with a well known name usually associated with toasters. They had bad leakage problems. The last discovery was one in my programmable t'stat that was caught in time. I guess battery development ends at the border.
I also have to wonder about other batteries. My battery on my bike lasted less than a year. While I know there is a lot of heat and vibration I think it's just cheaply made. Vietnam BTW. Why would a known supplier of stuff for Harleys send customers communist made anything? Strong letter to follow.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out today and still had my rechargeable a in that have been in there for a while. I turned the detector on and noticed the battery indicator was at half. I was out for about an hour maybe an hour and a half and the batteries went dead. This would have to be close to if not over 20 hours on these rechargeables.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The way I look at it is if they last more than 8 hours, I am carrying around excess weight in a rechargeable. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread