Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be a bit sticky so let's not get out of hand. I know a lot of you like to come here and hunt on organised trips, firstly I want to be the last person to rain on anybody's parade, but over the years I have been on T.Net I have met a lot of people, although we have never met, I consider them friends and I would not like to see them get stung.
There is a lot of talk in the detecting scene in the Uk about seeded hunts, for legal and Moderation reasons I can not say were these take place, but I will copy posts from certain links on the subject, and you can make your own minds up. This type of practice ruins detecting in my view, and corrupts the history of the area. Although these finds are genuine and sometimes worth a lot, it does not alter the fact that if, they are seeded, they are out of there original context of the find area were they were found.

Quote..It seems there has been a lot of discussion recently about the seeding of lands used for commercial artefact hunting (rallies and detecting holidays) with stray artefacts. There are those who say it is going on (many metal detectorists) and those who say it is not (organizers of commercial events and their supporters). The discussion is a long-standing one, as is illustrated by a thread from a month ago on the (deleted) [Metal Detector] Owners" forum. The only place where you will not find this being discussed is that there is not a PEEP about any of this on the British archaeology forums. So, it seems appropriate to highlight the opinions expressed on the (deleted)

Quote..Seeding does go on for sure like Jerry and a few others have mentioned above. We have been around and are not stupid, sometimes its so obvious. Personally I don't do rallies anymore because of it. I have been on rallies in the past where roman coins have suddenly started appearing after lunch where there were non in the morning. Like the others I am not mentioning any names but they know who they are. Basically its fraud, big monies are involved and people get greedy.

Quote..Rallies are now big business for some - no finds - no business - its not difficult to figure out what's done...... Land is so unpredictable - the best on paper can produce nothing......a hand full of grots and bent hammered with the odd beaut thrown in will secure future bookings......simple business. Every ones happy.....not to say all are but in sure many would be.

Quote.. indeed, funny. Two detectorists pointing out that access to land with "sparse" finds is being rented by the (Deleted club) setup. If true, this suggests that actual find content of the fields is not the primary concern of this commercial unit.The thread seems to have been dominated by people who believe this sort of seeding is going on. It concludes with the following comments. Its a shame really that any detectorists whether they are from the US or walls end are deceived in this way and is exploitation for financial gain period, and the sooner this sort of thing is nipped in the bud the better.

SS

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard these stories for many years.
ever since the first trips were organized.

I fear it is done in the U.S. on occasion also at the relic Hunts,
but I hope not.
& if it is, I would hope they would advise their Hunters
like Club hunts also.

it is not like I would complain If I attended a relic hunt, & found a $20 gold Piece,
planted or not, but personally I would like to know the truth

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard these stories for many years.
ever since the first trips were organized.

I fear it is done in the U.S. on occasion also at the relic Hunts,
but I hope not.
& if it is, I would hope they would advise their Hunters
like Club hunts also.

it is not like I would complain If I attended a relic hunt, & found a $20 gold Piece,
planted or not, but personally I would like to know the truth
I agree Jeff, if your told then you have the choice.

SS

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My self i never do seeded hunts put together by clubs or detector dealers or detector companies.......... Or by so called top dog treasure hunters......... To me it is just playing games i don't like those games....... And of course there is always some one making a buck off those type hunts.........

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe totally with what you are saying SS.. But - I am not out to try and ruins someone day or week with a MDer who found something that was seeded by telling them it was seeded. I know DIV hunts where they seeded stuff like a US Buckle or a Confederate buttons and someone will come into the civil war shop and brag about finding it when in fact i know it was probably seeded @ the DIV hunt, but i play along with it, I do not want to ruin someones day by telling them it was seeded.

When my friends mom died i seeded a SNY buckle for my friend to find and I have also seeded a wreath part to a two piece CS buckle for a old time digger who just found out he had cancer. Sometimes seeding stuff is not being "conned" but it is con when you collect a-lot of money to people to do a DIV and then seed stuff, but i guess business is business..

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last "seeded hunt I was on I came home with $700 in cash prizes and also won an Ace 150 that I sold......I have been on 5 planned 3 day seeded hunts and every one of them was a blast ....... I will play that kind of game any time when it nets me over $600 after expenses for 3 days of fun....

Ron Lord walked off with the $5,000 top price plus his other prices and finds. I bet he enjoyed the hunts as well..................
:icon_thumright:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried the seeded hunts the last couple years,
all I can say is participation is not for me.

I don't have the physical ability to keep up with everyone else,
so I usually have worn myself down within 15 minutes
and walk off the field.
add to that to me knowing they were put there for me,
isn't as fun as the Surprise of finding something that wasn't
put there for me.

for those into it, I say more power & good Luck.
But I got more kick out of finding drops not meant to be in the sand
for the hunts :laughing7:

but again stealing someones Thunder, by suggesting their find
was a plant not a legit find is just as bad as those who
set up paid hunts then seed the site.
also shallow ("loud") seeded objects hide Deep (whispers) worthwhile treasures produce,
so the organizers are doing a disservice to hunters who paid for a real relic hunt.

however even though word of planting behind peoples backs is a rumor
that has been around for many years, I have not seen an admission
from a planter yet

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last "seeded hunt I was on I came home with $700 in cash prizes and also won an Ace 150 that I sold......I have been on 5 planned 3 day seeded hunts and every one of them was a blast ....... I will play that kind of game any time when it nets me over $600 after expenses for 3 days of fun....

Ron Lord walked off with the $5,000 top price plus his other prices and finds. I bet he enjoyed the hunts as well..................
:icon_thumright:
Yes TH, I also have done that type of hunt... (Organised and Advertised tokens hunts) were you find the Numbered Tokens and then at the end of the day the tokens are Raffled for prizes, they are fun. But these types of seeded hunts I'm talking about are purely to make money on a big scale, planted Ancient finds out of context, but if Folk don't mind flying 3,000 miles paying, $1600 on top of the flight and know what's happening, then it's up to them.

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe totally with what you are saying SS.. But - I am not out to try and ruins someone day or week with a MDer who found something that was seeded by telling them it was seeded. I know DIV hunts where they seeded stuff like a US Buckle or a Confederate buttons and someone will come into the civil war shop and brag about finding it when in fact i know it was probably seeded @ the DIV hunt, but i play along with it, I do not want to ruin someones day by telling them it was seeded.

When my friends mom died i seeded a SNY buckle for my friend to find and I have also seeded a wreath part to a two piece CS buckle for a old time digger who just found out he had cancer. Sometimes seeding stuff is not being "conned" but it is con when you collect a-lot of money to people to do a DIV and then seed stuff, but i guess business is business..
I don't think you are getting my point Hut, I'm not out to ruin anybody's day week or what ever amount of time you guys spend over here. You did what you did for a very good course, not to make mega bucks like these types of seeded hunts are doing. The finds are also being recorded from a out of context situation.

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My self i never do seeded hunts put together by clubs or detector dealers or detector companies.......... Or by so called top dog treasure hunters......... To me it is just playing games i don't like those games....... And of course there is always some one making a buck off those type hunts.........
These hunts are not advertised as seeded, they advertised as genuine relic hunts as you guys would put it.

SS

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
both my favorite finds at seeded hunts were eyeball finds.

Last year at the Mars hunt, The plastic starfish made my day

Picture 060.jpg

at the Minelab hunt,
I was proud to bring home this find.
being a Minelab hunt it was like a conquest :tongue3:

DSCF0002.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like the laden Gold rich fields of England are still producing, :tchest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread