Help making an offer on coins

Warner2015

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2013
Franklin County MA
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm new to coin collecting, crh and estate sale hunting. I found someone on craigslist who posted they have inherited a coin lot and they don't need or want the coins or jewelry. I don't have a ton of experience buying coin lots or knowing exact prices. I'm looking for advice as to make an offer on some wheat penny books and singles, indian heads buffalo nickel, silver dime, silver certificate,14k gold plated over sterling silver necklace and diamond and silver ring. This is the only detailed info he will give me and doesn't have time for pictures. He just wants to unload it. I think its too good of an offer to pass up. any advice would be helpful.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector.gif
3rd - A member(s) will jump in shortly to help ya out...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The way you describe this here, if that's the way the seller described it to you - run for the exit.

If you can give us a better description, i.e. copy and paste the text of his ad in a post here, maybe we could offer you realistic advice.

OP
OP
W

Warner2015

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2013
Franklin County MA
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
1. books and singles of wheat pennies
2. old silver certificate
3. old indian head pennies
4. old buffalo nickel
5. diamond and silver ring
6. 14k gold plated over sterling silver necklace with either gold or silver pendant. can't read what it says
7. silver dime
and few other odds and ends. stuff that was handed down to me that I don't need nor want. looking for best offer on it all. will not sell seperate.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run, don't walk away from "sale"! This has scam or robbery written all over it.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a saying if it looks to good to be true it probably is .Or is it looks to good to be true jump on it before someone try's to muscle in on your good fortune

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd suggest you actually see it before considering an offer. And I DO mean SEE IT, not a picture(s)
luvdux

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest you actually see it before considering an offer. And I DO mean SEE IT, not a picture(s)
luvdux

If you are going to go through with this, then demand the meeting take place at your local police station or sheriffs office. There are LOTS of people who go to meet for a buy and get robbed instead.

OP
OP
W

Warner2015

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2013
Franklin County MA
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks everyone, i emailed the seller and told him I wasn't interested anymore. I'm a better safe than sorry guy but, I hope I didn't lose out on an easy dollar. I was given a new MD maybe i'll start digging.

dave sharky

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have some books that you save money in some Indian heads and some barber coins i would have to look at what else i have i,m in the Philippines now i bought all from Little,ton coin company years ago.If your not in a hurry i will find all and take a pitchure i don,t have a price i never saved the prices i,m only asking this might work out or not because of shipping but my coins are like new all my Morgans were stolen here after that i lost interest i had so many that,s life.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've made many a deal off of Craigslist, and the most profit were ads like this. written by someone who doesn't describe something right, or doesn't want to put in the effort to determine value.
Sometimes they have put in the effort, know that it's worthless, and trying to get an uneducated buyer.
Use common sense, but don't avoid doing business because of fear. Craigslist gets a bad rap.
This guy is not far from you at all. I would have given it a shot and took a look, but I have a feeling that this guy will end up overvalueing what he has and think it's worth more than it is. that's why he listed one nickel and the one dime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread