Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been MDing a number of old foundations, and have been contemplating searching the still existing hand dugs wells (and privies).
Wells:
One is wide enough to put a ladder in, the others I haven't lifted the covers.

i've searched around and haven't found any info as to whether this search would be productive. I have the equipment to pump the water out, so as long as it's 'dry season" I should be able to get most of it out.
Anyone have any experience? and advice on technique?

Thought about dropping a good magnet down first, etc. But that won't work for all. One dropped a pump in at one point, and plumbing into house may still be present.

One farm house is still occupied, but dates back to 1700s. No idea as to age of well. Home was a boarding house for NYC vacationers from turn of the century to 50s. (maybe Little Bobby threw his sisters necklace down the well?)
Another is a typical home, torn down in 40s but shows on 1875 map.
Another is a ministers home, acrossed from the church. The church dates back to 1700s, but unsure of the date of this foundation and well. the building was moved up the street, and to my untrained eye looks mid 1800s.

Privies:
I'm not a bottle collector, so what are the chances of finding artifacts/coins in a privy?

If I was going to do one, which should it be?
-Typical home, torn down in 40s but shows on 1875 map.
-Behind that old ministers foundation (see above) is another depression that may have held a building, and behind it 25' is what appears to be an outhouse outline.So there is a possibility that this one could be previous home built early1800s.
-I found a foundation to an old one room schoolhouse, and MD wasn't productive (except a Sky King Decoder ring from a 40s radio show. Missing a piece, but very cool!). But i think I found the last privy. Would a school privy be more or less productive?

These are all in the woods, and I anticipate propery owners permission without a problem.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice??

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't offer any experience, but common sense should tell you not to bother. detecting the path to the privy might be productive though

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you think about it, the area around the well might be a good place to search for a store of buried treasure, or it might be a marker or starting point. The well is probably a land mark that wouldn't change much over time, unlike the privy which would eventually be moved and filled in.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Privies:
I'm not a bottle collector, so what are the chances of finding artifacts/coins in a privy?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice??

You're only NOT a bottle collector YET. Go dig out an old (pre 1900) privy or trash pit and just try not to fall in love with those incredible bottles you pull out intact.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Privy!!!! Never pass up a Privy!!! NEVER

johnsonbottles.gif

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
... have been contemplating searching the still existing hand dugs wells (and privies).
Wells:
One is wide enough to put a ladder in, the others I haven't lifted the covers.

One farm house is still occupied, but dates back to 1700s. No idea as to age of well. Home was a boarding house for NYC vacationers from turn of the century to 50s. (maybe Little Bobby threw his sisters necklace down the well?)
... but unsure of the date of this foundation and well. the building was moved up the street, and to my untrained eye looks mid 1800s.

Privies:

If I was going to do one, which should it be?
... and behind it 25' is what appears to be an outhouse outline.So there is a possibility that this one could be previous home built early1800s.
-I found a foundation to an old one room schoolhouse, and MD wasn't productive (except a Sky King Decoder ring from a 40s radio show. Missing a piece, but very cool!). But i think I found the last privy. Would a school privy be more or less productive?

Howdy Tidajo,

There have been some fabulous finds in the bottom of old wells. Just search Jamestown Artifacts drawn from Jamestown well - Technology & science - Science | NBC News That being said, the 2 wells that I've found were really narrow, and when dug, necessitated the removal of multiple courses of brick after about 5 feet, in my case. I always dig alone, and both of those, i gave up & filled em in, because it was just too much work for too few finds, in the 10 feet I excavated of both.

Well_plate.grid-6x2.jpg

I'm much more a fan of privies & dumps. Do you have a probe? They are an essential tool for such a dig.

Yes, school privies might likely earn inkwells, bottles & stoneware, doll parts, buttons, toys, coins, and any number of other swell things. The smalls can be very cool.

DSC03590_zps7a7bcade.jpg

DSC03580_zps754f3cc0.jpg

06d59886.jpg

Eyeballing a prospective privy site, from this side of the grass, is very much a hit or miss affair. Be prepared to punch hundreds of holes with that probe. Sites occupied over long periods often had multiple privy sites, varying in age.

IMG_0512.jpg

This group was fresh from an old girls school dig:

DSC01506.jpg

IMG_3619.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info. Great stuff!

Anyone have any experience is searching wells without excavating? Pump them dry and somehow cleanout the bottom?
One of the wells on my radar is in the front yard of a nice house. No excavating. The other two are in typical northern rocky soil with now large trees next to them. Not a fan of digging them out like in Surf's Jamestown pic!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We had a member of our local rescue squad die at the bottom of an old well. It was bad air. Maybe Carbon Dioxide...not sure but know he died.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I once helped a man dig into an old privy hole. Yes, there were large numbers of very old bottles down there.

I did worry. Privies by their nature had bad stuff in them. How do I know that TB or cholera germs cannot encapsulate down there and still be active? I would not think so after 50 or 100 years, but I do not know for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions