Manners, what happened to them?

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
On occasion, when out detecting the local parks, some of the curious young children will approach you to see what you are doing. The younger ones, will ask " Hey mister, what are you doing?" I normally tell them that I am looking for coins. Some of them will tag along for a while to see if you find anything.

On two separate occasions, after digging up a penny, I handed it to one of the children. You would have thought I handed out gold coins by the expression on their faces. So each one of the four children wanted one also. No problem, I was finding lots of pennies that day, so I gave each child a penny, after digging it up. Not one said 'Thank you'. I thought that was rather odd.

So on another day, at another park, similar circumstances presented themselves and I decided to duplicate the situation. Again after handing out the pennies to the children, not one 'thank you' was uttered.

It must be me, but I always thought when someone gave you something it was a common courtesy to say "thank you".

Don't get me wrong, I am not an old grump or anything, but for some reason I found this rather unsettling.

Has this happened to anyone else?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blame the parents.Most kids today "raise" themselves.Parents are too involved in their work and worrying about finances and their own problems with their personal relationships to worry about raising their kids properly anymore.Sad but true.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
diggummup said:
Blame the parents.Most kids today "raise" themselves.Parents are too involved in their work and worrying about finances and their own problems with their personal relationships to worry about raising their kids properly anymore.Sad but true.

I agree with you that it all come back to the parents. I do not blame the kids. They were just not taught any better. Yes, it is vry sad. :'(

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
I quit putting money in those tip jars, seems no one under 40 says thank you anymore :-\

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Jangles is right about manners and age. I find that the elderly and middle aged are the most courteous and the younger folks are always on the defensive and are ready to attack you at a moment's notice. As far as the tip jars at restaurants, stores, etc. that is another topic for another day.
But you are right about the parents not teaching kids. My sister for example is working during the day and going to school at night. Her kids spend a lot of time with thier dad, but fortunately they have manners. They could have very easily slipped through the cracks like so many of our youth.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
it could be the parents. it also might just be that they forgot. little guys sometimes need to be reminded of saying things like please and thank you sometimes. i know i did. ;)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It's human nature, unfortunately. You may be familiar with the story of Jesus healing ten lepers and only one thanked him.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Or maybe a penny has become so worthless....that is what it has come to. Most kids want to go to the mall, they don't ask for a dollar or two any more. They need at least $20 bucks!

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
small town kids here still use thank you, excuse me, yes sir, no sir

100 miles to the west big city the kids will not use the words???

HH
Thank You
Joe

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
My son is getting better, he's been raised right. Around family he is a little lax, LOL! Especially at birthdays and such, but out and about he's doing pretty good.

You're right, manners have gone out the window. It's surprising the responses he gets when he uses "the words", its like nobody even expects to hear them anymore! Sad, really.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your welcome ;D ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly it is the way they are brought up. I even remember learning manners in school. Sort of dates me doesn't it?

I was baby sitting my two grand kids once when I burped. My grand daughter told me to excuse myself.

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
what goes around comes around, but kids dont realize that yet. spread some decency around, i always try to.

if that got under your skin, you mustve missed my post when i was describing the time a kid was "helping" me and a silver dime popped out of the ground and the kid grabbed it and ran. surely it was only a 64 roosie(?) ;D :D

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not always a manner issue. Some children are just awed by what they have when they are 'in the moment'. I would think that at least one of those children would have said ' thanks', though. My son has been taught to say thank you. It took many years of prompting before he would remember to say it on his own. Children don't always remember that when they are awed and amazed by something. They are excited and can only think about their new treasure which you were kind enough to give them. That doesn't mean they don't appreciate it. It just means that what you gave them truly excited them and made them happy and it was all they could think about. You said yourself they looked like they were given gold.....a child who looks unhappy is the one who is unappreciative.

I taught my son early. "Thank you" means you appreciate it. If you don't, then give it back. A person's feeling won't be hurt anymore by his/her gift being returned than it would be by seeing it taken by some who doesn't appreciate it. If you keep it then you, then you thank for it.

You made some kid's day even though he didn't remember to say it with words. Nice job. They will always remember you ;)

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
moonshine said:
what goes around comes around, but kids dont realize that yet. spread some decency around, i always try to.

if that got under your skin, you mustve missed my post when i was describing the time a kid was "helping" me and a silver dime popped out of the ground and the kid grabbed it and ran. surely it was only a 64 roosie(?) ;D :D

I must have missed that post. Bet you were a bit ticked off when the kid swiped you dime and took off >:( What an experience.... :o

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Jeffro said:
My son is getting better, he's been raised right. Around family he is a little lax, LOL! Especially at birthdays and such, but out and about he's doing pretty good.

You're right, manners have gone out the window. It's surprising the responses he gets when he uses "the words", its like nobody even expects to hear them anymore! Sad, really.

Good advice you gave your son. I have always taught my kids to always say please and thank you. Hopefully it will stay with them. We can only push them in the right direction for so long, then they are on their own. It happens before you know it. Cherish you time with you kids while you can. They grow up quicker than you realize.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
TokenFinder said:
That is not always a manner issue.  Some children are just awed by what they have when they are 'in the moment'.  I would think that at least one of those children would have said ' thanks', though.  My son has been taught to say thank you.  It took many years of prompting before he would remember to say it on his own.  Children don't always remember that when they are awed and amazed by something.  They are excited and can only think about their new treasure which you were kind enough to give them.  That doesn't mean they don't appreciate it.  It just means that what you gave them truly excited them and made them happy and it was all they could think about.  You said yourself they looked like they were given gold.....a child who looks unhappy is the one who is unappreciative.

I taught my son early.  "Thank you" means you appreciate it.  If you don't, then give it back.  A person's feeling won't be hurt anymore by his/her gift being returned than it would be by seeing it taken by some who doesn't appreciate it.  If you keep it then you, then you thank for it. 

You made some kid's day even though he didn't remember to say it with words.  Nice job.  They will always remember you ;)

I agree with you. Our kids need direction and only the parents can give it. I did take into consideration the special circumstances and that the kids may have been in awe to see money coming out of the ground, even if it was only pennies. The magic machine was finding money in the dirt :o :o :o When not one said tank you, I kind of figured it was not just because of the magic machine doing its thing ;D I guess it is a sign of the times. Thanks for comments.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found a $50 bill on the ground inside McDonalds. I questioned the patrons until I found the young girl (early 20's)who lost it. She didnt say Thank You.
I felt like I am a dumby for not keeping it after that.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
I found a $50 bill on the ground inside McDonalds. I questioned the patrons until I found the young girl (early 20's)who lost it. She didnt say Thank You.
I felt like I am a dumby for not keeping it after that.
There is a small bit of humanity left out there. Sunday I went to Wal-mart and bought an el-cheapo dain snake for the tub. I put the snake in the bag and took it home. When I removed it I noticed something in the bag. A cell phone. I opened the directory and chose one of the numbers. I asked the man who answered if he knew the person whose phone I was using. He did. He notified the owner who met me back there to pick it up. The snake was broken so I had no choice but to return anyway. The man smiled, shook my hand and also 'thank you very much, I appreciate it' and was on his way. I appreciated that. I returned my item, got the cash and headed back for a replacement. As I was putting two $5 bills in my wallet I saw money I had forgotten about. I looked up to watch where I was going and then back to the wallet. Without seeing the old money fall out, it did....I put the fives in and put the wallet back. Immediately a young girl, 10 or 11, excused herself, picked up the money and handed it back to me. All without prompting, no parents around AND without unfolding it to see how much was there. I took it and smiled pleasantly and said thank you. 'You're welcome' and she walked away. Back to business on my mind. I realized that it was only three dollars and thought "she didn't have to do that". I walked all over that store looking for her. I was going to give her that 3 bucks or maybe even one of the fives instead. I was very moved by the maturity and honesty of that young girl. I was also moved that the man with the phone was genuinely polite and appreciative of my act.

Even if my stupid tub still didn't drain for squat after $75 worth of snake rental, snake purchase, dran-o, shouting, cursing and sludge. It was still a good day.

All is not lost. Just most of it... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread