To rub or not to rub

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for years and I have always been careful to not rub my coins looking for a date. I always wait till I get home to clean them so as to not risk ruining a valuable coin. I see the guys on TV and some that do videos on here rubbing the dirt off looking for the date. I realize they are big boys and are free to treat their finds as they see fit. I just was curious what most folks do .... rub or not rub??

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rather its a bad habit or not.I always rub the dirt off of any coins i find.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try not to rub much, but i usually do it to remove so,e of the dirt so i dont end up with five pounds of dirt in my finds bag. I cant read the date without it being clean, in good light and sometimes need a magnifier.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never rub silver coins. You aren't going to hurt clad and copper pennies though.

You see a lot of pictures of silver coins found on here with many parallel scratches across them, I have always wondered if those weren't from being rubbed while dirty.

Bobbyw

Mar 10, 2013
Forest VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT/ Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen too many silver coins that needed to be rubbed to see the date. The ones I have, rubbing would not make a difference as the damage is done. Granted, I have only dug about ten. The two I dug at the beach were toast. Everything else, I rub just enough to see the date.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put everything in my pouch until I get home

This is exactly what I do. Finding is only the first part, I get home rough clean, identify, figure out values and then soak for a more thorough cleaning. The most I will do, is determine if a coin is old and if I am on the right track.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for years and I have always been careful to not rub my coins looking for a date. I always wait till I get home to clean them so as to not risk ruining a valuable coin. I see the guys on TV and some that do videos on here rubbing the dirt off looking for the date. I realize they are big boys and are free to treat their finds as they see fit. I just was curious what most folks do .... rub or not rub??

Except for Clad, I never date Clad, 'cept for Nickels....

on wheats , Old defunct coins like indians, etc, & silver,
I'll use my Thumb, The bottom of My shirt,
Sandpaper, Chisel ....

(just kidding on the Chisel)

But I've used pencil erasers and fine sandpaper on dates at home here.

it all depends on type of coin, location and timing these days.

if it is a wheat, particularly the first one of the day,
I'll need to know the date. If it's a very old coin or Silver,
I'll need to know the date. I know the odds of finding a key date are up there with the odds
that Kaley Cuoco is going to show up & wanna make out in the dirt,
(odds are she'd need to be liquored up & in an expensive room :()
so that is not a concern. & if a coin doesn't have date visible, it's a slug :dontknow:

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, the Date on the coin is not going to change between the time you find it and when you get it home. So, wait until you get home and can properly clean the coin to determine the Date.

Frank

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pretty sure I rubbed the first silver I found. I am positive I didn't rub the second......cause I didn't know I had found it until I had tumbled it with my clad! Yep, apparently it came out of the ground discolored and fooled me into thinking it was another 65 Washington like I dig almost every hunt, lol. I was very patient with a 1902 V nickel. I could make out enough detail to see the stars around the edge and put it into my pouch until I could get home and give it a water bath. Lately, my big thing is trying to have enough patience to get a pic of the find in the dirt before snatching it up like it's going to evade capture and get away, lol.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure I rubbed the first silver I found. I am positive I didn't rub the second......cause I didn't know I had found it until I had tumbled it with my clad! Yep, apparently it came out of the ground discolored and fooled me into thinking it was another 65 Washington like I dig almost every hunt, lol. I was very patient with a 1902 V nickel. I could make out enough detail to see the stars around the edge and put it into my pouch until I could get home and give it a water bath. Lately, my big thing is trying to have enough patience to get a pic of the find in the dirt before snatching it up like it's going to evade capture and get away, lol.

every camera I carried into the Hunt went Bad,
So I leave it in the car till the end in order to take pics of the hunt site.

I rarely take pics of finds, before I get home.
When I do it's usually other finds, If I think about it,
and plan to post them, for them.

I would not have the patience to take pics insitu I may have once, but not sure.
I see silver or gold, or Big Copper,
I gotta grab and Clean and Marvel :laughing7:
their history is important to me, Not condition

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I enjoy the feeling of knowing I have a great find in my pouch but not knowing exactly how great until i get it home and soak it in warm water and pat it dry. And the style of coin/silver found should give you a good enough time frame without knowing the exact date, I.e. Washington, Barber, Standing Liberty, etc. their value is not my concern but preserving them in their best condition is.

ace35049

Sep 7, 2012
Can anyone help everytime i find an old coin i rince it with water and it seems to make it worse then the olive oil turns it dark and make dirt turn to concret lol any sujestions

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not very interested in the coins value over face. I dig it up and want to know how long it could have been in the ground. If my 1802 half reale went from $25 to $5(or less) after my rub over the hole, so be it.
Ray

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:tongue3:
Like SI says: Hey! If it feels right, rub it! Sorry, I had 666 posts, had to do something

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I'm not very interested in the coins value over face. I dig it up and want to know how long it could have been in the ground. If my 1802 half reale went from $25 to $5(or less) after my rub over the hole, so be it.
Ray

Please send me all your $20 bills then......

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I never understood why people rub the dirt off silver coins. It really does destroy them and they look horrible. Carry an empty pill bottle half filled with water and drop your dug silver coins in the bottle...after a few minutes the dirt will rinse off and you can check the date. Also, it helps to protect the coins until you get home. I thank God I did this with my key date 1932D Washington Quarter. It now resides in a problem free PCGS slab XF40 valued around $250. It would easily have been a $60 dollar "problem" coin if I would of followed some of the previous advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread