schools?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I see a lot of people hunt around schools in my area there is a lot of old schools dating to late 1800s and I was wondering can you just go there and start hunting or do you need promotion I would think you don't and would be really hard to get if you did

Do you ever see other people in the school yards, after hours, doing things like jogging the track, shooting hoops, walking their dog, etc...? Then if so, then do you think they needed, or asked for, permission ?

I hunt schools wherever I come to, if they look good, and rarely have a problem. But of course use common sense; don't go during school hours, avoid busy-bodies, etc....

OP
OP
sperry2487

sperry2487

Sep 19, 2013
Thank you I'm very new to this only been going at it a few months and figure asking questions would be better then just assuming thank you again I appreciate it

Rainydays

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab CTX3030
Propointer AT
Pro-Find 25
White's Bulleyes TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where you are from, but I'm here in Nor CA. I hunt schools all the time. Never had a problem. Just use common sense. Clean plugs, stay away from people, don't bring shovel, don't dig baseball diamond, pick up any trash along the way, etc and you're GTG

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our school system has a open use policy. Any time anyone can use the facilities or grounds. Heck I ran a couple catering jobs outta the carerr center kitchen and only cost 30 buck to rent it for the day lol. I know off subject, but here's another tip go to your cities mayors office and ask them if you can hunt any land that the city owns. I did it with my town and county and have hundreds of acres to hunt now.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first off are they Still school property or privately owned now ?

in some places this makes a big difference.

even so , ever since 9-11 Paranoia, and little girls bringing bubble guns to school,
things have changed in some places,
so the normal assumption if it's a school it's open, doesn't necessarily fly either.

I don't know if some morons think your burying bombs or signaling for an Airliner
full of terrorists :BangHead:

Just a heads up, But at Tom says, If you see others using the
grounds, use the grounds.

However if asked to leave, apologize and do so.
it don't pay to argue

Last edited:

Confederate Sailor

Aug 9, 2013
Athens, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see a lot of people hunt around schools in my area there is a lot of old schools dating to late 1800s and I was wondering can you just go there and start hunting or do you need promotion I would think you don't and would be really hard to get if you did

I believe Sperry is speaking of historical school sites long forgotten since he said 1800s, folks. Just yesterday Another detectorist and me hunted two historical school sites in Alabama just a few miles from me in Mississippi. Both were on private property and we got permission for both. Take the time and get permission. Ask people for info and if they know the owner. NO PERMISSION NO HUNTING. You get caught without permission and word will spread through a small town like wildfire how bad those metal detector guys are and nobody will be able to hunt anywhere for years in that area.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes if your talking Old Schools, in almost every case,
they are now privately owned

Untitledw.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I believe Sperry is speaking of historical school sites long forgotten since he said 1800s, folks. Just yesterday Another detectorist and me hunted two historical school sites in Alabama just a few miles from me in Mississippi. Both were on private property and we got permission for both. Take the time and get permission. Ask people for info and if they know the owner. NO PERMISSION NO HUNTING. You get caught without permission and word will spread through a small town like wildfire how bad those metal detector guys are and nobody will be able to hunt anywhere for years in that area.

Hmm, since the OP hadn't said "private", I just assumed public. Sure, I suppose old surplus schools (from the 1800s) could have been sold off to other institutions. I've seen one-room-school houses, for instance, that were turned into private homes. Then in those cases, the question would be one about private property. Then yes, you'd need permission.

OP
OP
sperry2487

sperry2487

Sep 19, 2013
Thank you for all you insight I really do appreciate it, I am talking about public schools that are still in use the earliest one is I believe from late 1800s and the rest are early 1900s some of them have had additions put in them but I thought they might be good places to check out

408_Dirt_Fisher

May 14, 2013
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt schools all the time and have never ran into a problem. I usually go on the weekends when school is not in session and there isn't anything going on, band practice, football, etc. I tend to get there
early in the morning, say 5am and I am out by 9am when the dog owners show up to walk their dogs, even though it is posted no dogs. So if I really wanted to get snooty and one of the dog people had an issue with me, I could just put it back on them that they are not supposed to be there either, but never had an issue with them. Yesterday I was in a park and a City of San Jose employee came up to, I thought I was going to get busted, but he just asked "you find anything"? Got out and have fun and enjoy your hobby :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also hunt schools in Mass. No problem, the school police asks me about detecting almost got him talked into getting a detector, lol! But the high school I'm pretty sure I would need permission to search. When in doubt ask better than getting in trouble.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Roswell, NM it is against the law to metal detect on school property, as it is considered private property. There are three schools which border city parks, so within reason you can encroach onto the playgrounds. That said, it is best to do this on Sundays! Same goes for the court house. Legal to be sure, however, the judges have control. If they see you during court, they ask the deputies to ask you to stop. If you don't, they find a reason to hassle you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread