LOst Aztec Gold

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Me thinks you've watched one-too-many Raiders of the Lost Ark / Indiana Jones movies.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lost Aztec gold? Start at the history section of your local library,
and go from there. Let us know how ya make out!

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research, Research, Research. As I always tell people, "The computer that you are using has vast amounts of information available" Vast amounts.

OP
OP
Y

youcefkouidri1

Oct 15, 2013
Wedmore
Detector(s) used
I use treasure Maps
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will keep you updated......ur right though, all about research !

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doubt you will find much in the good ol US, but South America may hold some still. I like reading the treasure stories that you will see posted every now and then. But you will be surprised just what may be in your own area. Besides gold there is gems and jewels and all sorts of stuff that is waiting to be picked up. Good Luck, welcome aboard.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you find what you are seeking, keep us posted. Good luck!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Yes, the Aztec Gold forum is the place to go. Just a summary here in case people find this first.

I currently live somewhere in the heart of Mexico, in the village of my wife's birth. Historians, solid historians, not tin hat guys, show that my wife is almost certainly a descendant of Emperor Moctezuma I, not II. Along with almost everyone in this region, due to complex marriage history. The difference is we know she is, because her great-grandma was a Moctezuma.

The house she lived in as a child, now ruins, belonged to the local cacique, also a Moctezuma.

Much is known of pre-Cortes history of this region.

And, her grand-father, b. 1890, died early 1970's, said in 1911 they found a skeleton in the floor of the house with a gold neckpiece, which was donated to the church to buy a bell.

There is much contoversy about the Aztec Gold. Cortes seemed to think most of it that he didn't get, fell in the lake during the last battles.

Some beleive it was taken for a walk of many weeks clear into Arizona or even further. To me this does not even make sense.

Local legends do say it, or some of it, is buried locally.

IF it is buried here, there are few logical places it would be. I know where they are. All on private property with owners (my wife's uncles)
who don't believe in digging up treasures even if they are there.

Logistically, this vilage or other villages known to have been occuppied by the Aztecs pre-Cortes are where the gold would be, if it still exists. Not hundreds of miles through enemy territory. Though it is nice to believe it's in places you can legally access like in the US instead of in places where they will run you off.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

And, her grand-father, b. 1890, died early 1970's, said in 1911 they found a skeleton in the floor of the house with a gold neckpiece, which was donated to the church to buy a bell.

piegrande, if I had a dollar for every-such-story I've heard from Mexico, I'd already be rich, and never have had to go knock-myself-silly for a month hunting all over the sierra madres :)

When my host (a native of mexico, who now lived here and was employed by my company) and I got ready to go hunting down there, so too did he have all sorts of fanciful tales of treasures which had been found, skeletons, caves, adobes with "certain buried treasures in the floor" (if *only* they had metal detectors). And each story was iron-clad and unassailable! But as we got down there, and pursued the various leads and tips .... the all begin to fall apart. The persons who had supposedly "seen the coins from such & such recovery ..." upon interview.... well .... it turns they didn't exactly *see* the coins, but had heard about it from a reliable source (someone ELSE who "saw" them). So you would track down and find THAT person to talk to (hoping to see some of the supposedly recovered coins, or learn more, etc...). Finally when you find THAT person .... well.... they TOO didn't actually see the coins. They too heard about it from a reliable person, blah blah blah. All "he said she said type stuff".

Or when you go to the next village over to chase the next tip we'd come down for, you ask the persons: "how do you know a treasure exists in those ruins?" And it would be silly answers like "we saw smoke coming from the ground" or "we saw sparkles in a vision", or ... all such supersitious things.

Eventually, we gave up chasing all these "sure-fired-treasure stories", and just contented ourselves with hunting random ruins, and coin-hunting for solo coins.

Humorously, if you ever expressed a doubt to these people who would come to us ("the americanos in town with detector de metalis"), they would dismiss your doubts as insults, or that your "detector doesn't go deep enough" or that you "need a detector that *only* finds gold", etc....

Had a lot of fun though, and did find solo coins back to the mid 1800s. But as far as all the treasures buried in every cave, and floor of every ruin ...? nah, sorry, been there done that.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ok go to the go to the TH and mining supply store just east of the main intersection in Quartzite, AZ, I think it is a Keen Dredge supplier and ask the owner. He knows where it is. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread