Opinion on MD tentative choice

Greysquirrel

Greenie
Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While researching MD I found a post from this forum so here I am.
I have become interested in Metal Detectors after seeing a number of people at campgrounds using them, so I thought I would research them and see what it is all about and it looks quite interesting to me.
Started researching machines and damn near swallowed my tongue when the first ones I came across were mega bucks, not what I was interested in, then I got to where there were ones that would not break the bank and if I decided it was not for me I would not be out too much, my price point is under $200 and I found a number in my price range.
Now I am not going to ask what is the best machine under $200 because I know I will get a ton of answers with each person say theirs is the best and then a debate will arise from a couple of members and the whole thread will go downhill.
What I have decided on but it is not set in stone is a Bounty Hunter Lone Star, the price is right and there are some good package deals online and I am aware the what is in the packages is not high end accessories but then again I am not going to be using this unit full time, at least not at this point and don't need the best.
I would like opinions for users of this unit and anyone who is an experienced user of Metal Detectors.

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you have a $200 limit, why not get the most bang for your buck and get a Fisher F2? You can order one from Big Boys Hobbies for right at $200.

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have learned from my experience the cheaper detector actually turned ne away from the hobby years ago.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Honestly your better off with either a Fisher F2 or a Tesoro Compadre for under $200, just my opinion. You couldn't pay me to use any Bounty Hunter machine.

On the flip side you don't need to spend over $1000 to get a great top machine either.

OP
OP
G

Greysquirrel

Greenie
Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your replies and your suggestions, will check out the machines you recommended.

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I started with a Bounty Hunter and it was a great machine for the price. I now use an Excalibur but as a beginner machine I think any from the main companies are good.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By a propointer, at least you will have one piece of decent equipment. Hobby Lobby with a coupon has one they will sell you a detector for under 100.00 bucks. Just find a signal and let the propointer find it for you in the hole. You will be much happier that way. You can even buy a cheap digger at home depot and still have bus money. From a bounty hunter owner.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better of purchasing a second hand detector, that way you will get a better model.

SS

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still think a cheap hobby lobby detector, a good pin pointer, and cheap digger will get this lad more finds at the end of the day. Yes I buy used, but there is no warranty if he gets a bad machine. I can take my vintage Bounty Hunter, a Garret PP, and my cheap digger and still find stuff, a lot of stuff. I think that is the best combination for $200.00 bucks a guy can do. If I must suggest a detector only, Im looking at the Treasure Commander series by Duck Dynasty, they have all you need for entry level detectors there. Christmas is coming and Im not impressed by First Texas or any of the other detectors mentioned here. You find a old BH, buy it, you'll be happier with that than anything you find new now under a thousand dollars.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You can get some great deals on Craigslist from time to time! You just have to check out the machine really well before you purchase it. Just don't turn it on, make a couple of swings and fork out the cash. Make sure it is picking up Cents, Nickels, Dimes and Quarters, that the signal is stable and not quavering when you slowly pass it over a target. The quavering usually means that there is a loose connection, bad circuit or bad potentiometer (as in the Sensitivity setting, Volume setting, Discriminate settings, etc.).

I picked up a White's Goldmaster II which is great for Gold nugget hunting that was practically brand new for $145, a same as new Minelab Sovereign Elite complete with Digital Seach Meter, headphones, accessories and box for $175 and a same as new White's Surfmaster II and well used White's Coinmaster Classic II all for $220 off of Craigslist. All of my' metal detectors were purchased off of Craigslist with the exception of a White's Beach Hunter Id and JW Fishers Pulse 8X and I have 10 total.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread