Flagler county florida

mutant

Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading some posts on the KOGC in Florida and it seems Ocala was a hotbed for Confederates to go after the was or Northern Aggression....my question is Palatka Florida was a central point in Florida at that time, and just up the saint johns river it turns into Cresent Lake and then finishes into what is called Dead lake and Mud lake. I have heard stories from some old Timers that some blockade runners came up into that area? But cannot find out anything else
I wondered if anyone on here had any info or possible ideas if there was any KOGC activity in that area or if there were any shipwrecks or pirate landings in that area

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Palatka was occupied by the Union during the War.One of the Union gunboats was the USS Columbine,which captured the CSA blockade runner General Sumpter,April 1864 at Lake George,and later the Hattie at Lake Harney.
The USS Columbine met its fate,May 1864,when Marion county CSA Capt J J Dickinson calvary captured and sunk her at Horse Landing.Lola Sanchez,CSA spy from Palatka provided the information to Dickinson concerning the course of the Columbine.
During the War two Union ironclads were sunk by mines,and mant blockade runners were scuttled in the St Johns.The USS MAPLE LEAF,was sunk by a mine off Mandarin Point,and many of her artifacts are in a museum there.
The Alligator,an inboard paddlewheel,sunk in Crescent Lake,Nov 5,1909.
Hubbard Hart's,Hiawatha,was drydock to rot at Harts Point in Palatka.Its remains were there until the eatly 1960's.
Incidentaly,Hart was a CSA blockade runner who brought CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin and CSA Sec of War John C Breckinridge down the Oklawaha River to Ocala during their escape from the Union,May 1865.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The memoirs of CSA Priv Jasper Jackson Dykes of Welatka served with Hopkins 4th Volunteer Regiment/2nd Florida Cavalry accounts most of the activity on the St Johns River during the War of Northern Aggression,including captured,scuttled ,and sunk boats from both Union and Confederate,and their locations.A long,but a good read.
Jasper Dykes Letter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread