what is high tone and what is it for?

wabash river rat

Feb 16, 2007
new to TH'ing. haven't got a detector yet,so that's why the questions. what is high tone and is it necessary or beneficial. also any suggestions on starter detector? am now leaning toward tesoro cibalo. in the mean time i guess i'll just watch the lazy river roll on by. ice and all! actually the ice is all but gone, it's suppose to be in the 50's by the end of the week and raining. sure will melt the snow north of here and bring on the risin' river. reckon i'll keep my feet up and find the canoe paddle afore it gits too late.thanks fur any help and...

...God bless ya'll

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Im not sure if this is what you are asking but....Clad and silver coins give off a higher tone then other metals on most detectors that have tone ID. Gold gives off a lower tone that sounds like the metal found in Nickels, pull tabs and other types of metals. Silver and clad dimes/quarters give off a higher tone. Higher tones usually mean better targets (silver targets). I hope this helps, its hard to explain in print ;D

Once you get a machine and start testing different types of targets on it, you will understand right away!

Take a look at this topic and the charts. The higher the number, the higher the tone given off by the machine. This is a chart for the DFX, but it will give you an overall idea of what I am talking about.
http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?topic=29656.0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you mean the Cibola can be had with normal tone or high tone. Some people were not happy with the original signal tone of the Cibola so it can now be had either way. Many people are happy with the original tone. I don't know how you would know which you want without hearing both, but I believe you can always send one back and have it converted to the high tone if you don't like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread