fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher F2 MD, but this question can apply to any MD with a pinpointer mode, but if specifics on the F2, GREAT.

Basically my question is, How deep does the pinpoint mode detect? Details:

Supposedly the F2 will detect maybe up to 10 inches in the ground. That does not help much for trying to cache hunt, but I wanted a cheap / good starter unit. So when I switch over to PINPOINT mode on the F2, it seems to beep and detect A LOT more, meaning that is must be reading quite a bit deeper? Just curious on your thoughts on this? How deep is pinpoint going? etc. I know it should only be used to PINPOINT a signal i have already picked up on, but again just thinking hypothetically here. Along this logic could the F2 in pinpoint mode possible be used to detect some deeper caches... ? what about a hand help pinpoint, I have never tried one do these go quite deep as well like it appears the F2 pinpoint does?

THANK YOU.

Spectre

Sep 13, 2013
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
White's 5900Di Pro SL
White's 6000Di S3 (Modified)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpoint generally switches a detector over to all metal mode. If you're always detecting in disc mode, then your pinpoint will switch to all metal. When using disc mode on any detector, for the most part, there is a loss of depth. All metal generally gives the best depth on most detectors.

What some detectorists, including myself do, is detect in all metal mode then switch to disc to pinpoint. This is called reverse discrimination. At times you can possibly hit a target in all metal and get nothing or an extremely faint signal in disc pinpoint mode. These deeper targets are always worth digging, and by reverse discriminating, you more easily notice those much deeper targets that you could have possibly missed while detecting in disc mode.

Expect to be switching back and forth in trashy areas of course, but this method allows you to pay more attention to each potential target rather then relying so much soley on the detectors discrimination parameters. Reverse disc is obviously a bit more of an advanced method, but it's very much worth learning how to do.

Goodluck.

OP
OP
fronjm05

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply. So it looks like my F2 is in disc mode by default, and switching to pinpoint is more like ALL METAL mode then. So how much more depth are we talking in this mode? The very trashy area I was in, I was getting nice signals in disc mode, of course mostly trash. I switched to pinpoint mode and it pretty much was signalling everywhere. It is still probably only a matter of inches deeper in this mode I would imagine. Or can all metal modes go down 2 feet? thanks again.

Spectre

Sep 13, 2013
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
White's 5900Di Pro SL
White's 6000Di S3 (Modified)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking, and it depends on a number of things such as the md, ground conditions, but all metal usually will gain you a 5%-30% increase. It greatly depends on a number of things though which end of the spectrum you'll end up being.

OP
OP
fronjm05

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I know the wet ground can really give a boost in depth. OK I will just mess with it and run some "tests" - thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread