Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I got permission tonight to hunt an old school site - it was built in 1901 and closed about 30 years later. I've been trying to get in touch with the property owner (his house is right where the school was, but my focus will be out back where the road used to come in so that I'm not digging in his yard even though he said he didn't care). He's in his 90s and I've stopped by his house before when he was obviously home but he could never hear me knocking on the door. Tonight I managed to catch him and we got talking out on his porch for awhile. He had no reservations about giving me permission which was cool, but his stories were hilarious and it made my night.

He went to school there and grew up nearby, but the highlight of the conversation included the following: "You see that tree over thar? Got my first piece of ass by that tree and got a good dose of poison ivy too. Don't let nobody bullshit you, son, that's the truth...."

Anyway, he's lived there since the school was torn down in the 50's and it's never been detected before so I'm hoping if the garbage factor is minimal (which I'm kind of nervous about because he had a bicycle shop there in the 80's) that it might be a worthwhile hunt tomorrow afternoon!

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So true gold maven.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Her mother was watching, OMG, what did she say ----------- "Moo."

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a similar incident with a gent in his 80s, but not detecting. Quite a few years ago I had purchased a 36 ford streetrod near Dollywood in Tenn. One weekend, after getting it here to N.Y., I drove it to the local BigM. As I got out of the car, the gent came up and started talking to me. He asked if he could sit in the car, and I said sure, go ahead. After several minutes, he asked if it would be ok to sit in the back seat, and again I said sure. As he sat down, he got a huge smile on his face. He must have seen my questioning look, and as he climbed out, he gave me a big hug and said he had met his late wife in the back seat of a 36 ford on a double date many years ago, and my car brought back many happy memories.

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so I guess no matter how old a man is there is only one thing on his mind.......?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mom, to a small gathering of women, "I've been married to him for 65 years and I never even got a medal." Dad is sitting back in his recliner, shrugs his shoulders a bit as if not all that impressed by her suggestion of rare human endurance, "A medal?" he softly queries, "After 65 years with you they should have given me my own country." :laughing7: At 86 they still have their humor and moments. :thumbsup:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know how it goes, sounds like it should be a fun hunt.........Maven is correct!

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
While detecting an abandoned church I noticed an older gentleman watching my every move.I removed my headphones and said hello.He responded with"That thing works pretty good doesn't it".I replied"yes sir,It does what they said it would".He replied"yep,them weedeaters are something else,but I don't think I've ever seen one that quiet".I put my headphones back on and continued detecting.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! I've been accused of "weed wacking" when detecting. Then on a Sunday drive this fall my other half says look the guy is detecting. He was kinda close to the road, and as we got nearer I saw he was leaf blowing with noise canceling head phones on! Lol I cracked up.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While detecting an abandoned church I noticed an older gentleman watching my every move.I removed my headphones and said hello.He responded with"That thing works pretty good doesn't it".I replied"yes sir,It does what they said it would".He replied"yep,them weedeaters are something else,but I don't think I've ever seen one that quiet".I put my headphones back on and continued detecting.

That's awesome

KY PI

Sep 19, 2011
Northeastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Make sure you search well under that tree.........now that you know that pants have been dropped there. Who knows maybe some change fell out of his pockets! Great story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread