coyote

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so...please don't behave around wild animals as I do..."danger will robenson..."

a friend pulls up to the house yesterday...' hey I got something for you"...ok...she pulls out this knife...hand made, probable spirit item...
hand made blade, hand stitched and decorated sheath...
coyote jaw and two old brass bells dangling from the pommel...

now...I am both pleased and horrified...anyone who knows my beliefs about coyote will understand....
so I accept the item...what the heck...hang it up on the wall with the hopi corn and blue eyed jesus picture...
View attachment 886550
View attachment 886551
View attachment 886552

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Donald,

I must confess that I do not know your Coyote beliefs, but that is a horrifically nice gift.

Did your friend provide any back story to ride along with it?

coyote.jpg

OP
OP
pippinwhitepaws
Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no story...she lives up in flagstaff...owns an auction company...picked this up at one of her auctions...

my ba is native American religions... I think coyote stories are full of truths.

if killing coyotes was the answer to predation, coyote would be gone by now...instead of moving into the city.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree on the many truths. The Trickster easily becomes Hipster.

I was digging a lonely urban hill dump, not one mile from the city center, two Springs ago, and saw the largest coyote I've ever seen. Even with the Winter coat, this beast was pushing 70 pounds. He trotted right past me on an old access road, not 20 feet below.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember, always remember, Coyote waits. He is the mischief maker and he is always out there waiting...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Surf, if it was pushing 70 lbs, odds are high that it wasn't a coyote. I know they
run larger up in the New England area, but I can't imagine one weighing in
over 50 lbs., anywhere. Perhaps a hybrid of some sort?

Pippin, I understand your beliefs, and am wondering if the maker of the
knife/sheath felt that adding those jaws would give the knife much greater
power? Can't imagine why else they would have added those, but if a
native made the knife, then it seems reasonable that there was good
reason for it in his thinking.

Beautiful knife, btw

Last edited:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considered invasive here in SE Tennessee. Not a fan of the coyote. Totally respect that you are. Another we will agree to disagree I would say. :icon_thumleft:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see them on a daily basis...mainly because of all the new delvelopments near my work.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Large yotes here in Michigan when they get age to them. Largest I met was middle of a below zero night out by a creek I worked near.
Were I to kill one it would deserve to be remembered.Seems important on rare occasions we cross paths just to acknowledge each other though I raise small dogs, and yotes are hard on fox here. Wolves show it will be their turn I guess. For examples of adaptability and survival a midst persecution they are a good example of tenacity. They hung back when other canines risked being eaten, and often were by our kind, to join us.
I call that smart.Iconic.

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Surf, if it was pushing 70 lbs, odds are high that it wasn't a coyote. I know they
run larger up in the New England area, but I can't imagine one weighing in
over 50 lbs., anywhere. Perhaps a hybrid of some sort?...

Hey Dizzy,

Canis latrans to Canis lupus is not a big leap. This was a large mature beast. You're right on the Northeast location.

I shot a thirty something pounder in the high desert as a kid. This guy that I saw 2 Springs ago, was nearly double the size.

There was a local case of a man breeding Wolf Dogs in an apartment across the river.

I'm real familiar with this particular area. There is an pack of feral dogs living behind an old cemetery, across several sets of railroad tracks, not 2000 yards to the north. Maybe it's a crazy Canid commune of sorts.

Here's a good site:Project Coyote, and another: Wildlife Techologies--Northeastern Coyotes.

eastern1.jpg

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pip,

I too have studied the Native stories of "Trickster", and have become a believer. The coyote is one of the animals that Mother Nature looks out for.....killed, trapped or poisoned......they will simply breed more, and the population will grow, left to the natural scheme of things they regulate themselves, and follow the food.....they are an amazing, and resilient species.......Gary

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Went outside a few minutes ago and heard in the distance a group of them doing that weird chirping sound they make when hunting their prey, I know of alot of people that hunt them during the winter months with dogs, people consider them pests, I see it as just another of Gods creatures just trying to survive, kinda like when people who build homes around lakes and then try their hand at getting rid of the geese that crap all over their yards, to bad they cannot grasp that them geese were there a long long time before they were.

Mike

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well God made rats, snakes and cockroaches but anything that is a threat and in fact kills livestock and or is a direct threat to humans will not be tolerated around my neck of the woods............now if something is not a pest, causes no problems, great live and let live.........cause problems, they die.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey doc, did you know that the human body is host to more than 90 trillion organisms and parasites and microbes that a lot of times take people out with the problems they cause, something to think about.
Speaking of small things, ever look at any type of cheese under a microscope ? heh the entire surface is covered with cheese mites, nasty looking little buggers.

Mike

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I was fortunate to see a pack of "wild" dogs while crossing Parker County in Texas last Monday. Two big
ones and five more crossed the road 100 yards ahead and I honked the rest to stop as I was doing 80 and
did not want to make more road kill.

OP
OP
pippinwhitepaws
Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well God made rats, snakes and cockroaches but anything that is a threat and in fact kills livestock and or is a direct threat to humans will not be tolerated around my neck of the woods............now if something is not a pest, causes no problems, great live and let live.........cause problems, they die.

I understand ranchers have different sets of values to attend to with wildlife...especially predation species.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions